1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stuck in a rut?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by becky_harg, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    I just wondered how all the NQTs were feeling after the holidays,
    I have come back and am finding it hard to re adjust and also feel I've slipped into a boring routine with my lessons. I am teaching science (Edexcel2011) and sometimes I feel that there is so much content for me to get through that I don't have the time to do something different as if it goes wrong I will have wasted that time.
    I just wondered if anyone else was feeling like this, I think I wanted to be in a routine with my classes at the begining so they knew their boundaries etc but now I'm just stuck in the same routine and am finding it hard to break out of it!
    Would be great to know how other people is feeling to see if I'm not alone!

2. Hi everyone,
    I just wondered how all the NQTs were feeling after the holidays,
    I have come back and am finding it hard to re adjust and also feel I've slipped into a boring routine with my lessons. I am teaching science (Edexcel2011) and sometimes I feel that there is so much content for me to get through that I don't have the time to do something different as if it goes wrong I will have wasted that time.
    I just wondered if anyone else was feeling like this, I think I wanted to be in a routine with my classes at the begining so they knew their boundaries etc but now I'm just stuck in the same routine and am finding it hard to break out of it!
    Would be great to know how other people is feeling to see if I'm not alone!

3. Just to add to this, as the syllabus is new sometimes I just feel like I am passing on the information to the students I'm not sure how else to do it with some topics though.

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Try the science forum. Also I know its time consuming in its own right but have a look through the resources as there is some great stuff on there that will help, even if it just gives you a great idea of how to present your next lesson/topic.
    The NQT year is very hard, I know I worked 85+ hours a week on mine and still felt like I needed to do more. Things can only get better. (Also have you looked at 'Pimp Your Lesson'? I believe its good and have just ordered a copy myself) x

5. Thanks, I just feel a little bit like I've lost the love and it seems like I shouldn't have so early on in my career! I'll have a look into that book, I think I need to allocate some time as week to searching for new ideas etc as well.
    Thanks again

6. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

In the UK its cold, wet, dark and everyone is ill - I think the love is in hibernation. This is the hardest term, you'll see just keep doing your best xx

7. I'm doing the same course and I know what you mean, so you're not alone! There is a lot of information that students seem to need to know and only just enough time to get it all in! Some of the info also seems difficult to manipulate into more "interesting" forms.

I think we just have to establish ourselves first, get into the swing of things this year and then modify our teaching next year. As long as the information gets across, that's the important bit (for now) in my opinion. (Some of my classes do try their best to make getting info across a painful task, but hey-ho!)

If you think of any great ideas, let me know! :) (I'm doing mainly chemistry, with bits of physics).

8. Hi Becky,
    YES! I know exactly what you mean, I'm an NQT also, but teaching AQA. I feel like I am not being the exciting, enthusiastic teacher that I want to be with fun and challenging lessons etc etc. (I also feel like I was a totally mardy mare in the last two weeks of last term due to total exhaustion!)
    However, I am doing about 60 hours a week at the moment and quite frankly refuse to do anymore. I was more disciplined with this in September/October and less so at the end of term. My plan is to 'survive' this year, and to teach as well as I can without giving up my out-of-school life altogether. I figure that next year, once I know all the subjects etc, and have done the majority of the planning, I can tweak these lessons to include more exciting demos, more outside learning (I teach science) more project-based work etc etc.
    I also feel like with some of my more challenging classes, despite the fact that they are kinesthetic learners, and struggling with reading/writing, most activity-based lessons just end up resulting in them talking to their mates and no real work getting done - so frustrating!
    Luckily, we have not yet gone back to school (starting back on Monday) as we finished really close to Christmas - this was a genius move on behalf on SMT! Therefore the first half term is 4 weeks and 4 days long so I am hoping to bring lots of energy to the classroom and not be grumpy!
    So, in conclusion, I totally understand where you are coming from,I don't think we are alone, and we only have 2 terms of this chaos left!
    Good luck!

9. rainbow_gold

rainbow_gold New commenter

I can relate to this too although I am an English NQT rather than Science. I feel fed up this term already, and we're only two days in! I too feel no enthusiasm for glamming up my lessons, so they seem boring and basic but tbh as long as the kids are learning then I don't care just now. This year is so hard, I'm hoping that the enthusiasm that I felt at the start of the year starts to reappear the further we get into the year :( anyways just wanted to let you know you're not alone xx

10. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

One change in my NQT year was realising that the most motivating thing for students (who are generally willing) is achievement. Therefore, I simplified my lessons and gave clear and achievable criteria for all they were to do (such as number of sentences, or the particular composition of a paragraph in English) that was measured in a plenary. Didn't need to be 'fancy' as such, just lesson after lesson relentlessly giving the message that they were achieving.

Of course, such criteria needs to be differentiated. But it was a nice change from feeling I should make every lesson 'unusual and whizzy'.