1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stuck in a rut! Further academic study? Ways out?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by ferncliffe, Oct 12, 2015.

1. ferncliffe

ferncliffe New commenter

Hi ,

Anyone please give me some advice ... I've been teaching for 24 years (45 years old). Single mum of two children with massive mortgage, so can't easily leave. Have recently taken a job which is very near to home and logistically very handy, as opposed to a long commute last year, but not what I want to do. Have had 2 years experience as SENCo (NASENCo trained) which I loved. Unfortunately , the new role isn't in this field and I feel very frustrated and would like to do something else, with the same or better salary, better work life balance and in SEN or multi agency working. I enjoy teaching but really loved the diversity of SENCo work - but these are hard to come by - I need a 6 year plan so I can get out when I am 51 and have done 30 years!!!
    thank you

2. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

Is moving overseas an option for you? You could let out your house to cover the mortgage, make some decent money and actually love teaching again

3. ferncliffe

ferncliffe New commenter

Thanks for the suggestion - but think my ex would have something to say about it !!!

4. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

Move him as well :)