1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stuck in a loop... Not a moan, just advice needed...

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by ichbinmatt, Dec 13, 2011.

1. ichbinmatt

ichbinmatt New commenter

Hey everyone,

Hope you're all doing well with your applications/surviving the last week of term.

I just want to ask if anyone has any advice/words of wisdom about applying for a PGCE...

I have a 2:1 in Human Resources (which is basically business studies for PGCE purposes) but I'm stuck when it comes to applying.

My dilemma is...

I don't have enough school experience (two days so far) to apply for a PGCE but i've contacted every school in the area and either been ignored or refused due to safeguarding issues, a new head trying to turn the school around or moving buildings which is fair enough, it's not a school's responsibility to offer work experience.

I also can't apply for TA jobs as I don't have previous school experience so how do I break into the world of schools?

I know that I am really late if I try to apply for the 2012 cycle although if my memory is correct, business studies wasn't full until really late into the year.

Thanks!

Matthew

2. ichbinmatt

ichbinmatt New commenter

Hey everyone,

Hope you're all doing well with your applications/surviving the last week of term.

I just want to ask if anyone has any advice/words of wisdom about applying for a PGCE...

I have a 2:1 in Human Resources (which is basically business studies for PGCE purposes) but I'm stuck when it comes to applying.

My dilemma is...

I don't have enough school experience (two days so far) to apply for a PGCE but i've contacted every school in the area and either been ignored or refused due to safeguarding issues, a new head trying to turn the school around or moving buildings which is fair enough, it's not a school's responsibility to offer work experience.

I also can't apply for TA jobs as I don't have previous school experience so how do I break into the world of schools?

I know that I am really late if I try to apply for the 2012 cycle although if my memory is correct, business studies wasn't full until really late into the year.

Thanks!

Matthew

3. Hi Matthew, sorry to hear about the problems you're having, it can be a bit tricky if you don't know someone who has connections with the school! Have you thought about applying to volunteer at a youth group or something similar? It's not school experience - but it is experience with young people which can only help. Also, the TDA might be able to help with their School Experience Programme. I haven't used it so not 100% on what the process is, but it might be worth a look - http://www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/school-experience/sep.aspx. If you manage to get into either of those, then just mention them in your application as things you intend on doing and what you're looking forward to getting out of them. Also, I have heard of people being given offers conditional on them getting in school experience, so it might not be the end of the world :), good luck!

4. Hey Matthew, I found it quite hard to get experience too, however the key is to persevere! Keep emailing/writing/calling schools, explaining your position and offering to do voluntary work. I felt like a real pain, but in the end go myself a two day per week placement until the end of summer term!

They do get inundated with requests, but I'm sure something will come along for you, where you can help out the school whilst getting some experience :)

5. Hi,
    Agree with the above re: perseverance and working with young people in general. Would recommend special schools too for a different perspective and show that you are well rounded. They are also happier to take on volunteers in the respect that you can never have too many pairs of (helpful) hands! That's what I've found anyway. I think it IS harder now due to strict CRB checks etc, but if you have a CRB with your job, sometimes it's okay. I did volunteering with a CRB from my work, although it was related to children and young people. After school clubs, summer schemes etc are all other points of interest!
    Hope this has helped and good luck with securing some experience.

6. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Don't worry about it. Apply anyway.
    Training providers generally have contacts or work with partner schools who will get you a couple of weeks in a school if they think it's necessary.

7. Hi Mathew,
    Apply and in the mean time....
    Here is a couple of suggestions to gain experience of working with school age children,
    Scouts and Guides, (Guides look out for good male role models) offer your services as a volunteer, they will CRB you, though you can't use it in school, different official body.
    Another area you could think about is CSV for a few months, they are often looking for volunteers and having that on your CV is always a winner, in any walk of life.
    Best Wishes