1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stuck abroad

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by welshwales, Feb 24, 2020.

1. welshwales

welshwales Occasional commenter

Advice please. As I'm sure some of you have, I have a work colleague stuck abroad due to sandstorrms. He is unable to get home before Thursday, despite his best efforts, and therefore I've had to make contingency plans and book supply in to cover this absence.
    My question is, what would you do about pay? I'm really torn between playing the party line and having to insist it's unpaid due to not being able to fulfil his duties and the school incurring supply costs. My heart says that's just a bit unfair..he's a great teacher and works damn hard. Is there a compromise to be reached?
    Or can he claim for loss of earnings on travel insurance?
    Genuinely want to do the right thing ...for him and school..
    Thanks for any advice..

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Do you have a notional number of days you would offer a member of staff for compassionate leave in any one year in other circumstances? is that written into a policy or is it all described as being at your discretion? What have you done in the past about absence not covered by sickness? It's good to be consistent, so try to come up with something that you think you will be able to stick to if an unavoidable absence should occur again. What if a different member of staff was unavoidably absent? Try and find something you would apply to anyone be it pay in full, pay for part of the absence or not to pay at all.

welshwales and strawbs like this.
  3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

From being in a similar situation myself, I have appreciated the head mitigating the effect of the loss of several days pay by offering to deduct one day 's pay a month for several months, rather than a whole lot at once

4. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

This happened to me once but I was only delayed for a day. I didn’t get paid and I thought it was extremely unfair as the headteacher and a few others had been stuck due to the ash cloud incident for a week and all got paid.

Whatever you choose, just make sure it’s fair. You can claim compensation for delays (not sure if weather counts though) but it takes a while to come through.

caress and welshwales like this.
  5. welshwales

welshwales Occasional commenter

Thanks for the advice so far..am very keen to be as fair as possible.

Lalex123 likes this.
  6. Skychaserhigh

Skychaserhigh New commenter

Pay him! He can't help being stuck abroad, in the grand scheme of things 4 days supply is likely to be not a huge chunk of your budget. This is teacher wellbeing; not colouring in or yoga classes, just knowing that you have his back and understand the situation. He is likely to be stressed anyway being unable to return home, why add to it?

7. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

I was stuck in the ash cloud incident and was seriously stressed about it, and the thought I might not get paid. Especially when (to begin with) I was told I had to wait three weeks for the next flight!
    My Head asked me to check if travel insurance would cover loss of earnings.
    It didn’t.
    So she still paid me, saying it wasn’t as if I had chosen to be stuck, I rarely took time off, had willingly given extra time in holidays etc etc
    I never forgot that decision - and it was repaid in time many times over.

As a Head now, I know I could deduct the wage, but would do everything I could to avoid it. But I would also see if the staff absence insurance covered it!

welshwales, caress and strawbs like this.