1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

STTP PANEL INTERVIEW FOR SEPT 2011 START!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by nicnaks06, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Hi all
    Is there anyone else out there who attended the selection event on Monday 7th March and has been called back for interview next week?!
    Also anyone who has any advice on how the interview goes, what types of questions they may ask etc, so close now dont want to mess it up at the final hurdle!
    Thanks
    Nicola

2. Hi all
    Is there anyone else out there who attended the selection event on Monday 7th March and has been called back for interview next week?!
    Also anyone who has any advice on how the interview goes, what types of questions they may ask etc, so close now dont want to mess it up at the final hurdle!
    Thanks
    Nicola

3. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Hi Nicola,
    I work in Southend, and have worked with loads of GTPs over the years!
    I assume you have had a school based selection already? If you impressed the school, then in my opinion, the STTP interview should be a formality. Be honest, be enthusiastic, reflect on what you have to offer and what you have to learn.
    Be ready to explain 'why do you want to teach?'
    Be ready to answer 'what are your strengths and weaknesses?'
    Be ready to explain the qualities of an effective/good teacher.
    There could also be some age phase/subject specific stuff, but they know you are a potential trainee, not the finished article - what age range/subject do you want to train for?
    Mark

4. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Hi Nicola,
    I work in Southend, and have worked with loads of GTPs over the years!
    I assume you have had a school based selection already? If you impressed the school, then in my opinion, the STTP interview should be a formality. Be honest, be enthusiastic, reflect on what you have to offer and what you have to learn.
    Be ready to explain 'why do you want to teach?'
    Be ready to answer 'what are your strengths and weaknesses?'
    Be ready to explain the qualities of an effective/good teacher.
    There could also be some age phase/subject specific stuff, but they know you are a potential trainee, not the finished article - what age range/subject do you want to train for?
    Mark

5. Hi
    Yep I have already been through the school interview where I had to plan a lesson and was observed delivering this by two teachers followed by a panel interview with the head teacher and I was offered the position over other candidates. This school part counts as 40% of your overall interview score with STTP. I then attended the selection event with STTP and gave a one minute presentation and completed the maths and english tests and so have now been called to the final interview this week. I am applying for a primary place foundation/Key stage 1.I have already been working as a TA for the last five years so I have plenty of practical experience I just sometimes find it hard to articultae what I want to say at interview!!

6. Thank you, fingers crossed all will go well tommorrow!!

7. Hey Nicola,
    Well done on getting called back =). I was also at the selection event and got called back for interview on Thursday. When is yours?
    What sort of things are you revising? I am looking at the website they gave us and trying to get ideas from those about what they could ask us and what they are looking for.
    An NQT at my school also said they may use scenerios as well e.g. "What would you do if...."
    Never say you'd struggle for help. Also say you'd ask for help as and when you need it etc.
    If you can give me any tips or advice I would really appreciate it.
    Good luck

8. Hiya
    Well done for getting called back too!, you'll be pleased to know my interview is tomorrow so i can give you some pointers tommorow in prep for yours!. I've been looking at the tda website and tes website is good for finding out about things that are going on in education at the moment.Usually at these interviews they will question you about things you put in your personal statement and also i have been ,making sure i can justify what things i put on the spot analysis we had to do. Alot of people say the main thing is to show that you are committed and enthusiatic and willing to learn.
    Just going to have a look over a few more things tonight then its an early night for me, I will let you know how it goes!

9. Good luck for today =)

10. Thanks!
    Glad its all over now they said it will be a couple of weeks before we hear if we have been successful. It was fine not as bad as i thought it would be as they asked more general questions and focused more on what its like actually being a teacher inside the classroom, how would you encourage reading, reach all of the children in your class in regard to their learning, behaviour management, what makes a good teacher,safegaurding children etc. Just be enthusiatic and confident, they put you at ease and prompt you for more information if they feel you didnt give enough.
    Good luck!!

11. Well done.

A couple of weeks though? Ouch! That's going to be a horrible wait. Is that because of funding? Or shortlisting?

12. I think they just take their time to decide properly who's made it through, see if you can find out how much they're shortlisting it by!!
    Good luck, let us know how you get on!

13. Hiya
    Yep i recieved the letter today, I've been successful!!...I am soooo happy fingers crossed for you too, maybe your letter will come tommorrow :)

14. Oh wow congratulations!! Did you hear from your school or did you get a letter home? Hopefully I'll hear soon either good or bad!

15. I got a letter sent to my home, I work in a school now but i'm doing my training at a different school in leigh on sea, when i got home they had emailed me to say they had recieved a letter from the sttp too!
    Hope its good news for you too!

16. Great news Nic, I got a place too!! excited now :)
    xx

17. well done!!...we'll have to all get to know each other at the induction days in july, r u doing primary or secondary?!

18. I got my letter through the post today and I've been successful too!!! I'm so happy!! Started to panic yesterday that I hadn't heard anything ao it's such a huge relief especially as it's good news!!