1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Struggling

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Flexiblesink32, Oct 6, 2019.

1. sparklebanana

sparklebanana New commenter

As the title suggests, I am really struggling at the moment. I work part time as I have a chronic illness which causes pain and severe fatigue, amongst other issues.

My problem is that within my part time hours I have to cram in so much that I am left crying with pain on the drive home, and exhausted all weekend. The post I work in was originally KS1 but then I got moved to EYFS. Since the move I have explained about my illness and have had to reduce my hours because foundation stage teaching is so physical.
    I have to do a disproportionate number of break duties (as do all part time staff but I seem to do the most, pro-rata for some reason) and this does not help. I know break times are for the children and not teachers but it’s not fair that full time staff get break times just to nip to the loo or get a drink.
    I don’t get chance to talk to anyone and feel really lonely and never know what’s going on around school because staff meetings are on my day off.
    I feel that, because of pain, I can’t do my job as well as I should be doing. A few things have been mentioned about things I should be doing (more outdoor learning, setting up more exciting continuous provision, etc) but they are all physical things that I struggle to do. I am now terrified they are going to put me on capability as I hear if mentioned a lot on here.

I have got to a point where I am really depressed, I know I can be a good teacher, but just not in the Eyfs. The pain is just relentless. I am now struggling with anxiety, every morning I feel sick when I wake up, wondering how the hell I can get through the day. Even on my days off all I do is either work for school or sit dreading going in. At times I go to bed and hope I don’t ever have to wake up. I can’t sleep for worrying about all the things I am not doing right, and every time I go into school I tell myself I will just push through the pain and do it anyway, but i just feel worse and worse as the day goes on.

I would love some advice, or even just some understanding comments from anyone who has experienced similar circumstances. I don’t want to go to the drs because they will probably sign me off - they are “clamping down” on sickness at school and I amworried how I would be treated when Ireturned.

2. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

I read your post and thought I must reply, you sound like you are really struggling. I have worked in EYFS and agree about how physically demanding it is. I know you don't want to, but it does sound like you need to take time off sick. Ask for a referral to occupational health. They will listen to you and look at ways of modifying the job so you can get back to work. I have experienced all of this and had a phased return with modifications. For me this didn't help for very long but made me accept that I was no longer physically capable of being a teacher. Subsequently I applied and was accepted for ill health retirement. I'm not saying that this will be the case for you but you will only know what is best by exploring different options. Believe me, your health is far more important than anything else.
    I also suggest you post this on workplace dilemmas. You will get far more response there. Good luck

Flexiblesink32 likes this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I also think you need to go to your GP and approach Occupational Health for some adjustments or this situation is only going to get worse.
    Certainly have no actual knowledge, but I do wonder, if It may well be once you're officially under GP OH that discrimination may be involved and they must be able to offer you some concessions?

Flexiblesink32 likes this.