1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Struggling with Student Finance England

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by anon2145, Jun 1, 2011.

1. I am having a few problems with Student Finance. I am a mature student and I did have a small student loan about 16 years ago when I did my degree. When I did my on-line application for my PGCE at the end of March I did declare that I used to have an account with them. I sent all my paperwork, birth and marriage certificates, childrens' birth certificates, tax credit info, mortgages statements, proof of outgoings, you name it - as soon as they asked for it. They have had all this info for months, and only now - at the end of May - do they decide that I can't make a new application but I need to apply under my old account from 16 years ago. So they cancelled my current application, which gave me the fright of my life this morning when I checked it to see what they were doing. I phoned them straight away, waited forever in their queuing system, and then they tell me that yes they have cancelled my application and that I need to apply again under my old reference, which will take up to a month to process.
    I have been told by them that they have scanned all my evidence so in theory all they have to do is transfer it over. I can't understand why I have to re-apply. The guy I spoke to said somthing about data protection, but they have copies of my birth and marriage certificates and they can see that the National Insurance numbers are the same so I just cannot understand why they are being so pedantic.
    On top of all this they say they returned my marriage and my childrens' birth certificates 2 weeks ago, but I have not received them. I will need the marriage certificate to apply for my CRB.
    This is just a rant really. Why on earth did it take them 2 months to decide that I needed to apply under my (very) old student finance account number ?? Is it just me or is this rubbish ?

2. I am having a few problems with Student Finance. I am a mature student and I did have a small student loan about 16 years ago when I did my degree. When I did my on-line application for my PGCE at the end of March I did declare that I used to have an account with them. I sent all my paperwork, birth and marriage certificates, childrens' birth certificates, tax credit info, mortgages statements, proof of outgoings, you name it - as soon as they asked for it. They have had all this info for months, and only now - at the end of May - do they decide that I can't make a new application but I need to apply under my old account from 16 years ago. So they cancelled my current application, which gave me the fright of my life this morning when I checked it to see what they were doing. I phoned them straight away, waited forever in their queuing system, and then they tell me that yes they have cancelled my application and that I need to apply again under my old reference, which will take up to a month to process.
    I have been told by them that they have scanned all my evidence so in theory all they have to do is transfer it over. I can't understand why I have to re-apply. The guy I spoke to said somthing about data protection, but they have copies of my birth and marriage certificates and they can see that the National Insurance numbers are the same so I just cannot understand why they are being so pedantic.
    On top of all this they say they returned my marriage and my childrens' birth certificates 2 weeks ago, but I have not received them. I will need the marriage certificate to apply for my CRB.
    This is just a rant really. Why on earth did it take them 2 months to decide that I needed to apply under my (very) old student finance account number ?? Is it just me or is this rubbish ?

3. mrsshorty

mrsshorty New commenter

Hi
    It is not you they really are rubbish! I know people (lots) that have never had any problems but I personally have had a problem every year! I have now finished my degree and qualified but still waiting for payments that I should have had in September including payments of child care element for my daughters nursery!
    I am having to ring them weekly and show any correspondance to my nursery provider just for the fear that they will at somepoint say that it is ridiculous and the fees need paying before my daughter can be booked in- not good when you are a teacher!
    I hope they sort yours out quickly!

4. I had a fair few problems/issues with student finance, but I'm having to apply with Student Finance Wales. In the end I managed to speak to a 'team leader' and voice some complaints. I am also going to write a letter explaining why I think some of their systems are ridiculous, because they are.
    Anyway, this is just to say - I sympathise. Keep trying to get your voice heard. The student finance company needs a big shake up and the only way it's going to happen is if all of us let our opinions be heard. Oh, and if we sufficiently annoy them.

5. I know that Student Finance has been a pain for loads of people, and I had to do my application on paper as after 6 weeks of a problem with my online application not allowing me to do anything despite it being noted and 'sorted' by the technical team it was heading fast towards the deadline and I daren't leave it any longer.
    However, despite the technical problems, I was amazed that I haven't been asked for dozens of extra pieces of proof for the ins and outs of a duck's bum (my cousin had a complete nightmare last year that went on for months!) and I recieved my award notice last week with the amounts and payment dates and my kids birth certificates etc came back yesterday. This is only about 3 weeks after I sent the application in (mind you most of it was done online at the beginning of March so I assume they just had to fill a few blanks).
    Hope it's all sorted for you all soon, it's stressful enough without the worry of money not coming on time.

6. Well I insisted on speaking to a manager as no-one phoned me back - and it seems to have been sorted. They have agreed to swop the reference numbers over so I don't have to fill out the form again. I have been verbally told that the maintenance grant has been confirmed. And apparently the certificates weren't sent 2 weeks ago - they weren't actually sent at all until my ranting phone call from last week - so hopefully they will turn up this week.
    Never again ! Getting a mortgage was easier !