1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Struggling with phased return

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Torey, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

You could request to extend the phased return. Can you afford to go part time?

2. Thanks Torey. I feel a little awkward, after only the first week of phasing back, asking to extend, but I think I know that it's necessary. Would I have to ask to see Occupational Health again to do this? As for part time, this is something I am seriously considering but I don't want to make a rash decision based upon how I am right now. I knew that returning was going to be tiring and I would like the opportunity to try to get back to full hours and give it a good go before I make any permanent decision.
    I had a biref conversation with the HT yesterday when he asked how the week had gone and I was honest with him that I was exhausted and to what extent. I now have three days to rest and recover before the full day on Tuesday. I feel as though I've been kicked by a horse today so the rest of my life will have to be put on the back burner while I rest.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No - the head can make the decision to extend or not. OH only recommend, they have no 'clout'.
    Thrre may be a prblem with requesting an extension if the school has a policy on this in place setting out the maximum number of weeks allowed and/or money is tight - it will cost the school to extend, you see.

4. Thanks MM. My school have been fantastic in supporting me back and, ironically, this actually makes me feel worse when my recovery is slowed. I have hated every second I've been off work and am probably more keen than anyone to get back to normal. I am all too aware that I have previously attempted to go back too soon only to end up back on the sick and this is no good for anyone. I suppose that I'm scared of the same thing happening again.

5. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

If you can afford part time it could be worth requesting it (they might refuse) and you could always do supply in another school when you recover.
    See how it goes on your full day and then talk to the head and see what your options are.

6. I still think it's a little early to be looking at anything too long term, but I haven't totally ruled out a part time request. I've also had the sickness and diarrhea bug this weekend (it's been doing the rounds at school this week) so am hoping that this may have contributed to the tiredness somewhat. I really am hoping so as I am just not prepared to entertain the thought that I may not get fully better for a while yet. I need to believe that I will be able to work and have my life outside of work restored. I've seen precious little of family or my partner (thankfully he is very understanding), my house is neglected and I just need to get back to normal.

7. Hooded,

only just found this thread.
    So pleased school are offering phased return but feel for you when you say you are struggling.
    I have no advice but did not want to read and run.
    Be proud of yourself for going back but do take care of your health it is so precious.

Hugs

8. After the first full day back yesterday, I feel as though I have been hit by a train. My GP warned that I would feel tired but I was hoping (perhaps too optimistically) that I wouldn't be in pain with the exertion :-(
    I feel stuck between perservering and giving my body the opportunity to adapt back into working or giving in to my body's yells and screams to slow things down. How do I know which is right? I already know that tomorrow is going to be a struggle.

9. I'm in the last week of my phased return now, the last rest day was yesterday. Last week seemed to go really well and my energy levels seemed almost normal. I wish I could say the same for this week [​IMG] I feel totally wiped out again today (and yesterday) and the pain and weakness is returning to my legs. I get the results of my latest blood tests to check if my thyroid levels have improved next week, but it's a hard waiting game in the meantime.
    I'm so fed up - I feel as though I'm going backwards instead of forwards

10. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Don't try to "push through". If your broken leg was hurting would you try to run a marathon? You must listen to your body and take it slowly. You are obviously not ready yet for anywhere near a full week. Please take good care of yourself. x

11. I had no choice but to ring in sick yesterday, my legs quite literally wouldn't work properly. They've been really weak for a while, but just wouldn't support my weight yesterday at all. I spent the day mainly sleeping in between taking pain killers. I went back in this morning and although weak, I felt more able to get through the day. I also knew it would only be for this morning as I had a hospital appointment this afternoon for a minor procedure.
    After yesterday's reality check, I have booked yet another appointment with my GP for the first week of the hols to get some advice.

12. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Tell the GP all of your symptoms, you are struggling. Don't refuse to be "signed off" you aren't well enough yet to work. Take the time off to try to rest and don't think about work. Nobody is indispensable, unfortunately. If you keeled over in front of the smartboard, they would simply wheel you out and slot in a replacement. Oh, and eat more chocolate!

13. Thanks Rosie.
    I'm hoping that being signed off is a last resort, and my GP is always keen to avoid that wherever possible to avoid having negative effects on mood - I don't take well to not being able to work [​IMG]. Obviously, if it is absolutely necessary, I won't go against GP's advice, but am hoping for some management advice if I'm honest.
    This is one of those illnesses where because you don't necessarily look ill, people just don't understand. While my work has been great I always feel as though they think I am just being weak or that I simply can't be bothered. I wish that there was a way of really communicating just how bad things can realy be. Rather than being some idle slob who can't be bothered, perhaps they could see how hard I am trying to stay at work, how much pain I am in, and the impact this has on the rest of my life. I know I shouldn't care what people think, I know I am ill and that should be enough. But I have always prided myself on being reliable and hard-working, and being forced into only being able to do enough to get by is a hard pill to swallow.
    I hear your point about not being indespensable, nobody is! Loving the chocolate tip though [​IMG]