1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Struggling With No References :(

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Flower1992, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Flower1992

Flower1992 New commenter

Hello All,

I finished my GradTeachDip in New Zealand at the end of 2015, but due to long term illness, I have not been able to teach much beyond some supply work in London. I have just moved back to NZ, and am having no luck with the job hunt because of these lack of references.

I have enquired about a teaching refresher course which includes a practicum component, but they are usually full and probably wouldn't take me since my registration is still valid. I have attempted to sign up with relief agencies, but they will not accept a reference from my supply agency either. It seems my only other option is to give up and do something else!

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Could you contact a school you did supply work in (in London) directly, not through the supply agency, explaining why you need a reference from a school? Maybe, if you had a good relationship with a HoD (if secondary) could you ask a HoD you worked for personally?

3. install

install Star commenter

Get a character reference from a professional. Or Get a p/t Sat job or do some voluntary work fast and use those as references:cool:

pepper5 likes this.
  4. Flower1992

Flower1992 New commenter

Thank you for the replies.

I've had 1-2 week blocks at a few schools in London, but I've never met any HoDs. Supply teachers weren't allowed in the department offices (or the staff room).

Install, are those type of references commonly accepted? I've been working as a swim instructor p/t and have marketing contacts so no issue getting non-teaching references.

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

What? WHAT? WHAT?

I have NEVER heard of a school where that was the case (and I worked in more than a dozen, several in London...)

6. Flower1992

Flower1992 New commenter

Maybe I've been unlucky. The three most recent schools I've been all had a room set aside for all the supply teachers to meet in the morning, and to sit when we had a free block.

I think those references would be useless anyway, the agencies keep coming back with 'it needs to be from someone that has seen you teach'. Impossible!

7. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I thought it was illegal to bar Supply Teachers from a staff room?