1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Struggling with lack of sleep

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by katherinelily, Aug 21, 2011.

1. I am waking up early but despite this am having terrible problems going to sleep and when I do sleep I am easily woken, mainly by my pets it has to be said!
    Although it sounds like a small problem it isn't. I am lying awake for 2/3 hours every night and last night I cried because I just wanted to drift off but was awake. I don't seem to feel tired any more but I do want the relief that sleep brings, that another day is over.
    I am wondering if I am still perhaps a little depressed.
    I'd welcome any help but please don't advise a hot bath as we only have a shower cubicle!

2. I am waking up early but despite this am having terrible problems going to sleep and when I do sleep I am easily woken, mainly by my pets it has to be said!
    Although it sounds like a small problem it isn't. I am lying awake for 2/3 hours every night and last night I cried because I just wanted to drift off but was awake. I don't seem to feel tired any more but I do want the relief that sleep brings, that another day is over.
    I am wondering if I am still perhaps a little depressed.
    I'd welcome any help but please don't advise a hot bath as we only have a shower cubicle!

3. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I have downloaded several apps onto my ipod that help me sleep. They are very helpful.

4. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I have to have something to listen to, to go to sleep, or my brain goes into overdrive. Anything would do but it has to be familiar so don't have to actively listen to it - things like audio books would do. I have them on my i-pod under the pillow.

5. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

Don't lie awake. Get up and do something until you feel sleepy.

6. Have you tried doing an exercise class in the evening? I tend to find the nights I go for a long run are the ones that I sleep like a baby! Due to a partners work patterns I had a period of 2yrs or so when I developed a hap hazard sleeping routine, the only way out for me was healthy eating and exercise really.

7. Read a boring book. It does help.
    I also like a bit of white noise - I really love my rain cd.
    I had dreadful insomnia for about two years - I sympathise.

8. Since having depression, my concentration has really dwindled and I love reading in bed. I find it helpful to re read a book I've previously enjoyed, then when my concentration goes, I still kind if know what is happening!
    I was on sleeping tabs for a few months. Not the answer I know, but at least I felt like i switched off at night.
    Hope it improves for you

9. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I'd tend to agree with you that diet may be contributing. I don't know if this is the case, but if you are following a very low calories diet, your body is probably out of sync because it will constantly be trying to adjust to your eating and other behaviour patterns. If you are not eating enough, no doubt the body will be compromising for this by sending around a lovely fresh batch of hormones etc to keep to moving and alert.
    This is obviously just a layperson's opinion!
    As a solution to both problems (sleeplessness and weightloss) how about trying the Paul Mckenna weightloss app? You can download it to your iphone or ipod if you have either. I find his voice very calming and soothing. I nearly always fall asleep whilst listening to it.
    Alternatively, there are lots of relaxationg apps that you can find. I like guided meditations, such as are used in yoga lessons, which help me focus on one thing rather than constantly thinking about all the things I need to do. May be worth giving it a go. xx