1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Struggling with First Post

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Harb17, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm an NQT that started my first job four weeks ago its a maternity cover for the whole year finishing December. And yes I am struggling and finding the whole experience a shock. And yes I want a big rant and any advice please!!!
    I did my training in a soft good school and now I am at a school with difficult kids - not the worse by any means but difficult and I am struggling with the behaviour. Its specifically my year 9 class, a year 7 class and a BTEC group who are awful. The BTEC group by the way really need a classroom assisstant with them, but mainly my year 9.I also have no idea how to teach the BTEC.
    I aksed my mentor for help she observed a lesson and said I was building a good rapport with them but the next two lessons they were awful. I punish some of them and they behave but are resentful of the ones that they feel get away with things. They take ages to settle down if I ask for quiet. Now I can see the good ones getting annoyed as well as the lessons are disruptive. They get work done but it takes them ages. Their head of year it must be said is very good too as is my head of department they drop by during these lessons to check on me. Once they are gone however the kids play up again.
    I also have a year 11 class who don't and won't do much work at all, their predicted grades are mostly D - F (about four Cs out of 20) and to my mind have given up they just sit there.
    I am also finding the workload really hard - I knew it would be but I have no life at all. The lesson plans are not good and none of them fill an hours lesson so I am continually trying to find resources. I feel that my teaching has gone way backwards and my lessons are very poor. Other teachers in the school tell me it will get easier and its perfectly normal and are really encouraging and best of all I have a great wife and Mum that are supportive and will not let me quit. I am suffering from a bit of stress and get anxious and have panic attacks.
    I know it could be much worse reading the forums here and like I said other teachers are supportive and sympathetic but I would just like to know from other NQTs do you feel the same and are you struggling as well, just how normal is this? Am I being a big wuss?
    Also should I by now have startred my induction programme? What does this involve? Nothing has been done on this front. I guess its not just advice I'm looking for but other peoples experiences and how they felt on starting their career. Right now I'm thinking I'll just get the induction year over with and think about teaching again.
    Thanks for any comments anyone has!

2. Hi,
    I'm an NQT that started my first job four weeks ago its a maternity cover for the whole year finishing December. And yes I am struggling and finding the whole experience a shock. And yes I want a big rant and any advice please!!!
    I did my training in a soft good school and now I am at a school with difficult kids - not the worse by any means but difficult and I am struggling with the behaviour. Its specifically my year 9 class, a year 7 class and a BTEC group who are awful. The BTEC group by the way really need a classroom assisstant with them, but mainly my year 9.I also have no idea how to teach the BTEC.
    I aksed my mentor for help she observed a lesson and said I was building a good rapport with them but the next two lessons they were awful. I punish some of them and they behave but are resentful of the ones that they feel get away with things. They take ages to settle down if I ask for quiet. Now I can see the good ones getting annoyed as well as the lessons are disruptive. They get work done but it takes them ages. Their head of year it must be said is very good too as is my head of department they drop by during these lessons to check on me. Once they are gone however the kids play up again.
    I also have a year 11 class who don't and won't do much work at all, their predicted grades are mostly D - F (about four Cs out of 20) and to my mind have given up they just sit there.
    I am also finding the workload really hard - I knew it would be but I have no life at all. The lesson plans are not good and none of them fill an hours lesson so I am continually trying to find resources. I feel that my teaching has gone way backwards and my lessons are very poor. Other teachers in the school tell me it will get easier and its perfectly normal and are really encouraging and best of all I have a great wife and Mum that are supportive and will not let me quit. I am suffering from a bit of stress and get anxious and have panic attacks.
    I know it could be much worse reading the forums here and like I said other teachers are supportive and sympathetic but I would just like to know from other NQTs do you feel the same and are you struggling as well, just how normal is this? Am I being a big wuss?
    Also should I by now have startred my induction programme? What does this involve? Nothing has been done on this front. I guess its not just advice I'm looking for but other peoples experiences and how they felt on starting their career. Right now I'm thinking I'll just get the induction year over with and think about teaching again.
    Thanks for any comments anyone has!

3. Hello,
    I'm an NQT too I've been in school since September, and am struggling. However I think it is starting to get easier now. I am getting on top of the workload. However I wish I hadbeen more consistent with the kids from the start in terms of following everything up - ie. if I give a detention, they have to turn up, and if they don't I chase htem and chase them and chase them -dont make the mistake I made of letting a few slide or forgetting about them because now i'm in the position of being really quite inconsistent.
    Don't be too hard on yourself. You're only 4 weeks in and it'll get easier. I'm not much more experienced at all but already I'm getting used to the job and finding it less stressful. I am however still thinking of quitting at the end of the year. I just want to get through my NQT induction which at hte moment is looking like it might be difficult :eek:/
    I too find the workload hard. The past few weeks i've been staying in school working til 9pm nearly every night. (This however is an improvement on my pgce year when i was up planning until the wee hours so i do have hope for the future that itll improve further!) now however i have realised that i am actually just inefficient, i sit there having a cup of tea and a chat in my free hours and mess about at 5pm thinking 'oh its only five, im going to be here hours i may as well fiddle around with the margins on this worksheet for five minutes'...so I, starting now, am going to force myself to go do something I enjoy at least a couple of evenings a week! a tired stressed overworked hating-the-job teacher is not going to be very good in the classroom anyway
    Good luck! xx

4. Thanks msloops,
    I feel a bit more "normal" now, you wonder whether its just you being a poor teacher or doing something badly worng.

Cheers!

5. Anyone any more views on this....please?????

6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You need to discuss induction with the school induction coordinator or your mentor-mentor usually subject based coordinator ass head or deputy. There should be a full induction programme including reduced timetable-this is a statutory requirement regardless of a temporary post. Check out the TDA/teachernet website for guidance. Ensure they register your induction with the LA as they are tha appropriate body for induction and responsible for the quality and links with GTCE.

7. Just reading your message made me chuckle! I am doing a 6month (ish) maternity as my first teaching post and finding it a struggle to face each day. As its a maternity the kids know the other teacher is coming back and implementing change for good is near impossible. This is partly because I feel the teacher I am covering let them do basically whatever they want and of course they love her.
    The workload is ridiculous, I have to prepare all my own plans and resources (nothing has been left) and likewise I have BTEC course Im not 100% confident in teaching. In particular some of the Y11s have basically given up. Behaviour is an issue as school rules arent consistant throughout the school and currently there are issues with management supporting teachers.
    So, from my point of view 2 months in. Be consistant with behaviour, make sure you punish the same behaviour for everyone but reward all the good behaviour more, make it a competition even? Try different techniques for different classes, find which works best for you and your pupils. Use school sanctions and rewards regularly.
    If the school were concerned about your teaching they would have said something and obviously they think you are getting on ok. If there are any other NQTs at the school try and find them and ask them how they are finding it, you probably have the same problem pupils.
    Approach each day as a new start and dont let pupils see you are losing faith in yourself as they will pick up on it and turn it against you. No one ever said it would be easy but it does feel more of a struggle than I had thought. Id assumed treading water not drowning!!
    It will get better, once they get used to you and your ways they should settle and if you are consistant with your behaviour they will learn, even if it takes time.
    Good luck!

8. Thanks for your views Charliemouse,
    Its good to know its not just me. Quite often I think I'm just a poor teacher. Everyone says it will get easier, but when? Sounds like my year 11s are the same - they have just given up or think that they can just turn up on the day and it will be OK.
    I do feel however that I am getting no where with behaviour management and need some help. In general I feel like my teacher has deteriorated so much I too struggle to face each day. Still I'll give it some time.
    Thanks Again.

9. Hi
    I started my NQT year after christmas. Having received a satidfactory with elements of good. I have received two inadequates from OFSTED this week. I have days where I am close to tears all day and am constantly worried about bad behaviour. Yet sometimes it does get better and I have days where lessons are better. I am hoping things will continue to pick up and am already counting down the days until feb half term! I hope things will get better or I'm not convinced I will last the year. The OFSTED obs has relly thrown me the inspector said she was "disappointed for the children". This absolutely floored me! But I will continue to try and pick myself up.

10. Bex - I feel for you....OFSTED in the first few weeks of starting.....that sucks!
    I have been in post since September and am only now getting satisfactory lessons with my Y11 groups - and I am happy with that at this stage. It has been a long hard slog to build a good rapport with them.....they are the sort that need constant encouragement and cajoling to work. When they eventually settle down in the lesson (often a good 10 minutes in) they will now work well and meet the objective of the lesson well. This was the case in a recent observation - I know what the issues are and have asked for advice and support to move these classes on. I think picking up Year 11 classes when you are new to the school (especially as a NQT) is the hardest one - you have no history with them at all and they know it.
    I think everyone would agree that slowly the workload seems to be a little easier....can't say how long that takes, but I suddenly realised in the last few weeks I am not always working every evening and I always make sure one day at the weekend is free.
    Make sure you get the support you need as an NQT and that all the paperwork is doen to register you and submit the reports. (I know of someone that this wasn't done for and they need to do an extra term!!)
    Good luck!

11. Bex that is terrible and so unfair what a horrible comment for someone to make no matter who they are OFSTED inspector or not. Is it any wonder people quit teaching with stuff like this going on.
    Hang on in there if I can make it you can too.
    Good Luck