1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Struggling with countdown to retirement

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Cantwaittogo, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Cantwaittogo

Cantwaittogo New commenter

I posted last term that I intend to retire this year due to work overload and mismanagement. I'm not under any form of support at work and it's very unlikely I will be. However I just don't want to be there anymore and I resent the time it takes from my life.

I've put markers, countdowns by day and weeks in my diary. I've booked things to look forward to up to the end of summer term.

Any other ideas to shake this feeling that I'm wasting my life? For financial reasons I can't go earlier than summer and may even have to plod on til next Christmas.

Curae and pepper5 like this.
  2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I am in the same situation. I can't wait to get out. But have to stay for the time being. I suppose i cope with the waste of life at work by making sure I do things that are not a waste of life outside of work

pepper5 likes this.
  3. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

'Eyes to the prize' - think about what you'll do once you are retired; even start planning (holidays, DIY projects etc).
    'Work out how much you actually earn a week, a day, a lesson' - and say to yourself each lesson etc. 'that's £xx more for the retirement fund!)

Dorsetdreams likes this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

For a start - try and be a little more positive

It might even make the time go a little quicker.

If you feel like you're "wasting your life" as you put it then you may be wasting the chances of others.

You have many (hopefully) years ahead of you and a few more months left at work.

Try and make the most of it,

5. Cantwaittogo

That's why I'm asking for advice Peakster; I'm trying my best to be positive but it's hard. I'm perfectly happy when I'm not at work so I know I'm not depressed.

I hope I'm not wasting chances for others, I still do my best by the kids I work with!

6. Corvuscorax

We are not wasting the chances of others. We are long past the point where anything I do affects children. Everything I do is entirely automated, I m micromanaged every second of every day. My skills, experience and knowledge are irrelevant, and there is nothing I do which couldn't be done by a robot.

If anything I did during my working day as a teacher had any impact on children then I would see the point of getting up and going in to work every day

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

oh, just count your money.

magic surf bus likes this.
  8. Cantwaittogo

I like this if only I had some spare to count!

pepper5 likes this.
  9. Cantwaittogo

When can you go Corvuscorax?

pepper5 likes this.
  10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Most people in most jobs have to go to work to enable them to earn the money to live. Many of them do not particularly enjoy their jobs either. Teaching is a job, not a leisure activity.

So what would an @Cantwaittogo shaped life look like? What things will you do in retirement that you can't do at the moment?
    Which of them might you be able to do if you rearrange your priorities?

11. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

Go off piste in the classroom. Now and then do something you like, the kids like and which is useful. The sort of stuff we did years ago. Not all the time but now and then . If management question it say you are trialling a new initiative. Seriously what can they do?

12. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Make plans.
    Ensure that you have made handover to your successor(s) easy - details of classes, SoW, whaere you've got to, problem topics that'll need revisiting, things like that.
    What will you do with your books and things? Some you'll want to keep, some you'll want to give away to colleagues and ex-colleagues.
    Rationalise your electronic resources so that others can find and use them. Delete the ones you thought might come in handy eight years ago and have been mouldering ever since as no-one would ever use them!
    Go through the filing cabinet - shredding or recycling.
    Organise your tax and pension paperwork. Check your pension details on TPS website, make sure that your contributions are all credited, deal with them if not.
    Decide what to do with the lump sum (pay off mortgage??)
    Plan a holiday for the first or second week that your school will be back, and you will be still relaxing.
    Are you going to do something else now? Start researching and perhaps volunteering - charity shop, homeless shelter, governor, U3A.....

13. Corvuscorax

most jobs have some sort of purpose. Most jobs don't overwelm you. Most jobs enable you to get on with your life in between the hours you spend actually doing the job. Most jobs don't stress you to the point where it will shorten your life.

14. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I sympathise with you, @Cantwaittogo. Having you life wasted by an incompetent and bullying SMT does grind you down.

Shedman and FormosaRed like this.
  15. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Why do you have to stay until next Christmas at that school if it’s having so much of an effect on your life? Could you not tender your resignation to leave at Easter and then do supply work until the end of 2020 or whenever you’re able to leave. It’ll be a pay cut for sure, but it’s all about quality of life at the end of the day.

16. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

And here's me struggling with retirement. It'll pass quickly and I agree with all the posts above.

Have your thought about having some time off with WRS? Not something I would recommend but it's an option.

17. seasoned

seasoned New commenter

I took early retirement two years ago after 37 year's service - with 15 years service in my last school. I enjoyed my career but I became disaffected and it was time to go.....but imagine my surprise when I saw a job advert in school - replacing me with a member of support staff on less than half of my salary...!!!! You're only a number and no one really cares...but I had the last laugh as I drove out of the school car park for the last time with a smile on my face :) I now love my life...,best wishes to everyone for 2020..!!

eljefeb90, Curae, bevdex and 9 others like this.
  18. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

I'd certainly be retiring from marking at this point.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

You're leaving, you don't need references. Be the best, fun teacher you can be.

SUPER.SUPPLY, Curae, bevdex and 7 others like this.
  20. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

I agree with the suggestion that you do your job the way you think it should be. What can they do to you? If you do feel too unwell to work - and being at home is quite different to being at work - then you shouldn't be going in. Tighten your belt as much as you can so that you can go in the summer, if not before. Other than that try to reframe it in your mind so that it doesn't feel so awful. Know it's easy for others to say all of this, but the time will pass.