1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Struggling with 'characteristics of effective learning' in Rec EYFS profile.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by svxenos, Jun 14, 2015.

1. svxenos

svxenos New commenter

Hi Everyone,

I'm an NQT and I'm really struggling with the 'characteristics of effective learning' section in the EYFS profile.

What do other teachers do? Do you put examples of the child's learning in each characteristic - by playing and exploring, through active learning , or by creating and thinking critically? Do you put down general comments on their learning style? How much do you write?

I don't even know how to start this! Are there online resources I can read to help me get a handle on it? Anyone have any advice on how to approach it?

2. curtism

curtism New commenter

You could go to the ABCDoes website and download the Characteristics of Effective Learning Guide (under resources). Also just read the guidance in the profile which clearly states you should write a 'short' report for parents on these. I tend to write a paragraph or two at most and include a couple of examples - you want to be concise and clear - remember you are writing this for parents (and Y1 teachers). I include targets. And try to keep it all positive - X will try new things, with support, for example. The ABC also has example reports, if your school does not already have a proforma.

3. svxenos

svxenos New commenter

Thank you!