1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Struggling with behaviour management

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by nutrition02, Dec 21, 2019.

1. nutrition02

nutrition02 New commenter

Need help please? I cannot seem to get my behaviour management right, students still talk, stay off task, don’t listen or respect me. Then another teacher walks in in they are immediately quiet, on task and working hard. I feel so inadequate and hopeless
    I am starting a new job in January and really concerned, I have 2 weeks to sort this out. Are there any videos, books anything I can do to help me , please??? TIA

MathMan1 likes this.
  2. MathMan1

MathMan1 New commenter

Hi, I'm sure you'll get some useful suggestions from people on here but in the meantime, if you search back over previous posts you'll find a veritable goldmine of ideas (Me? I'm still in my "completing the degree" phase so can't comment on what to do iro behaviour myself).

I would say, however, that you're probably not the first 'new' teacher they've had & that being so, many / most / all students will play up to test the newbie.

Yes, that's not fair or nice, but many do, so there's an element of having to learn to be strict and strong at times, and then perhaps throttle back (assuming you've not throttled them!) after a while.

Good luck in getting this sorted.

nutrition02 likes this.
  3. Bouncyb22

Bouncyb22 New commenter

How are you with follow through of consequences?
    Kids always end up messing around more for new teachers because they are trying to work out where your boundaries are. If you impose hard limits on what they are and are not allowed to do and have consequences that you follow through with then you will see an improvement. I will warn you thought that it is likely to get worse before it gets better.
    To see it in action I recommend Supernanny! I know it sounds ridiculous but she shows parents how to set house rules (we have classroom and school rules) and how to follow through with consequences. This does not mean that you need to bring out the naughty step but work out what is the suitable consequence in your school and run with it.
    I know that I found it really difficult to get the right balance of strict and kind and I definitely missed the mark with some of my older classes during my NQT year but going in strict and then relaxing is definitely the way to go. I also steal a lot of things from primary, like a voice level sign which the kids now really like because there is a visual reminder of what is expected of them.

Good luck!!!

MathMan1 likes this.
  4. TheIrishTeacher

TheIrishTeacher New commenter

A very common struggle as a new teacher, so please don't worry! Do you have an Instagram account? If so, I suggest you follow @goodmorningmsfoster. She has the most amazing tips when it comes to behavior management daily. She has a free ebook on behavior management strategies too, so definitely check her out. Best of luck :)

pepper5 likes this.