1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Struggling to switch off already

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by blt, May 3, 2012.

1. blt

blt New commenter

Hello,

In need of some advice/guidance...... basically I don't know what is wrong with me! After rounds and rounds of fertility treatment, miscarriages and heartache I am finally twelve weeks pregnant. I'm so happy but already am worrying about work. I'm in a secondary school and have a KS5 timetable as do other members of my dept. The school are advertising for my maternity cover, but I'm feel a bit 'lost' and 'shut out' for some reason. I'm intending to be off from mid October to mid April and then return full time and school are thinking of getting someone in for the year. The thing is, and I know this sounds daft, but when I return I want my job and my classes back! If school want to keep the cover person on then that's obviously up to them but I'm just feeling like a bit of a spare part and I've not even had the baby yet. I just have this vision of me hanging about doing cover and suchlike whilst someone else carries on with 'my' job.

I am a bit of a control freak and suspect some of this comes from that but it is leaving me feeling all unsettled :( Please help!

2. blt

blt New commenter

Hello,

In need of some advice/guidance...... basically I don't know what is wrong with me! After rounds and rounds of fertility treatment, miscarriages and heartache I am finally twelve weeks pregnant. I'm so happy but already am worrying about work. I'm in a secondary school and have a KS5 timetable as do other members of my dept. The school are advertising for my maternity cover, but I'm feel a bit 'lost' and 'shut out' for some reason. I'm intending to be off from mid October to mid April and then return full time and school are thinking of getting someone in for the year. The thing is, and I know this sounds daft, but when I return I want my job and my classes back! If school want to keep the cover person on then that's obviously up to them but I'm just feeling like a bit of a spare part and I've not even had the baby yet. I just have this vision of me hanging about doing cover and suchlike whilst someone else carries on with 'my' job.

I am a bit of a control freak and suspect some of this comes from that but it is leaving me feeling all unsettled :( Please help!

3. naomi58

naomi58 New commenter

I think you will feel differently when you get closer to having your baby, and then when they're actually here and in your arms, work will probably be the furthest thing from your mind! I felt like you did about my class, my classroom and the management of my subject, but not now! It's just work! X x

4. Im going on mat leave in a week and Ive felt this way for a few weeks. I too am secondary and have a resp in the dept. Aside from getting stuck into Y11 stuff as usual, Ive noticed that Im not part of decision making processes/discussions and it can be unsettling especially as Ive been pushing for a proper handover meeting and to know who will be covering my role.
    With regard to your TT, Ive noticed that schools tend to take someone on for the year as it means they can often get someone in whose of a higher calibre and then it means that if you choose to stay off for longer they are covered. Our AST has just returned from mat leave and is picking up my timetable - she is a A level lang expert and will be teaching no A level until Sept as I dont have any on my TT this year, its just the way things pan out. I dont expect to be given back my year 10 class when I return as they will be settled with another teacher.
    As the previous poster has said about changing approaches - apart from being conscientious and wanting to do a proper full handover, Im well and truely ready to be away from the dept and all the issues and focus on being a mum.
    T xx

5. As far as I'm aware (and I did some research before having my first), if you are off on maternity leave for 6 months, you must go back to the exact job that you left - this will be on your contract. You can't go back and become a cover supervisor or anything like that. If you are off for more than 6 months, you are entitled to go back to a job on the same payscale, but not necessarily the same job. As you are only taking 6 months, then there should be no problem. I would have a chat with your line manager and get the ball rolling.
    Having had 2 kids now, mothers returning from maternity leave have A LOT of rights. A friend of mine (not in teaching) won a substantial amount of money from her company in a tribunal when they tried to fob her off with a different job at a different level after 6 months maternity leave.
    Don't worry about it - you need to look after yourself and the bun in the oven. You have the law on your side, so everything will work out.