1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Struggling to make a decision

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by fourleafclover, Oct 22, 2015.

1. fourleafclover

fourleafclover New commenter

Hi, I've recently been watching some of the threads on here and thought you might be able to offer me some thoughts about my current situation.

I've been in teaching for the past 3 years and have just started my 4th. If I'm honest I don't really enjoy the job. I like the people and children I work with but find the work load and scrutiny difficult. I've always had good feedback from lesson observations etc but I still don't feel 100% confident in what I do. I only work part time which allows me to have a weekend. I'd rather work full time but feel like teaching would take over my life if I did.

I was feeling really down a couple of weeks ago and thought I was going to leave teaching and start a career doing something completely different....as of yet I am unsure what! However, I've not given my notice in because me and my husband will be hope to have children the year after next. Should I stay in teaching so that I get better maternity pay or will it make no difference? I'm still struggling to work out how it all works! Also, would it be easier to start out in a new career without the commitment of children. I just don't know what to do!

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this,

TIA

2. kcrobson

kcrobson New commenter

You're trying to plan for something at least two years away. But, as many women on this thread will testify, it sometimes takes much longer to conceive. The best laid plans of mice and men...

Carpe Diem. Is there something you would rather try? Try it! We only live once! And two years is plenty of time to settle into a new job. It's the things left undone that we regret...

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Personally, I simply can't imagine treading through a job for two years *just* so I could gain some maternity pay. I'm just not two years of my life is worth a few thousand pounds…

You can assess what maternity pay would be worth by looking here - www.tesfaq.co.uk - the maternity section. You will be aware that in order to benefit from full maternity pay you need to return post leave for at least 13 weeks with the usual resignation deadlines applying.

4. fourleafclover

fourleafclover New commenter

You're absolutely right, I tend to find myself getting anxious over things that I shouldn't. I find myself thinking of the future all the time when perhaps I should be living for the here and now a bit more! Like you said....who knows what the future holds. It doesn't help that I hate the thought of change and turning my back on a career seems quite daunting especially when I'm struggling to decide what I want to do instead. Thanks for your replies :)

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

New chapters = new adventures.

Entering the world of parenting is absolutely a new chapter… possibly a whole new book! :)