1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Struggling to Get Through New 9-1 GCSE History Course in Time!

Discussion in 'History' started by boysie01, Apr 9, 2018.

1. boysie01

boysie01 New commenter

I am finding that getting through and completing the OCR SHP B 9-1 course in time is really challenging. The amount of knowledge the students need is huge and there is no way that I shall be finished until the last minute. I never struggled to get through the old GCSE course. Is anyone else having the same issue?

2. Equinton

Equinton New commenter

Yes definitely. We are doing AQA but finished with 10 minutes to spare in the final lesson before study leave - and we only managed that because we skimped on exam technique consolidation in our struggle to move through the material. What we are also finding is that our students struggle with timing: they have 105 minutes to write 10 answers in paper 1 and 8 answers in the other. It's crazy - and of course EAL students don't get any extra time these days and are hugely disadvantaged in this race to write at speed. We have had such a stressful year trying all sorts of interventions after half our cohort failed the mocks .... having said all this, the first real paper which they sat on Monday was fair in the questions it asked in my opinion. The main issues are getting through the course and then timing the exam without leaving gaps.