1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Struggling to extend my g&t maths year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, Jan 15, 2012.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

I feel like I'm letting them down. I'm using yr3/4 objectives, teaching them advanced methods, but I struggle with giving them activities without a ceiling as such. In other words I don't know how to give them open ended tasks. For example, this week main lo for rest of class is finding difference by counting on. My challenge group are doing in my counting on in chunks to next ten etc. but how do I make it open ended

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Does it HAVE to be open ended? Sometimes MA children need to practise skills as well, just higher level skills.

3. rainbowdrop86

It's just for my g&t boy who will finish it in 5mins flat!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Can he come up with his own game/activity/long question that will showcase what he has learned?

5. rainbowdrop86

That's a good idea, thanks

6. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter

I use Beam (beam.co.uk) resources extensively with my g&t y2s - look at the resources for 7-9 or even 9-11. Lots of open ended activities. Nrich is good too.