1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Struggling on M1

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by dylan83, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Is anyone else finding it hardgoing living on an M1 salary?
    I know £21500 is more than a lot of people get paid and I shouldn't complain - even though I think if I worked out my hourly rate based on how many hours I work, I doubt it would look very impressive. But living alone, forking out for rent, council tax, bills, student loan, pension contributions, car tax and insurance, petrol, food etc means I can't do much else. I really want to go away over Easter and have a proper holiday but it's looking really tight. I've taken on one-to-one tuition and am considering marking exams in the summer to earn a few extra pennies, but it still seems hard.
    What's worrying me is that with the pay freeze they'll stop people moving up the pay spine until the freeze is over, which potentially means being on M1 for at least another year. Apparently "a decision is yet to be made" about that but with the announcement this morning that inflation is at 3.3%, the pay freeze alone - coupled with VAT in January - isn't going to make things any easier.

2. Unless you are commuting over 30 miles by car M1 should suffice. And unless you are renting a place more upmarket than necessary for a single person living alone. I suppose yiu food bill comes to about £25 per week - what else do you spend on? Anything that is not food, petrol, overhead and internet is a luxury and must be treated so.

3. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

The problem is nobody on this forum knows about anyone elses financial situation. I know that if I paid my pension I would have about £50 a month left after my bills. I don't live extravagantly, my shopping is limited to £80 a month. My rent isn't that high compared to others I have seen but I wasn't prepared to move across the country to live somewhere that I wouldn't like.
    Even with the NI contribution I am still better off not paying my pension. The view I have is why struggle now when I have at least 40 more years of work ahead of me. I could be dead by then.

4. £25 a week? If you're living off Beans on Toast maybe... I don't buy extravagent food but I do try and eat decent things, which means I'm looking at £40 most weeks for food, with the odd bottle of wine.
    I know that I can *manage* on M1, but it's a bit frustrating to be working so hard and then not be able to afford a nice holiday (and I don't mean an expensive one). I guess after years of uni and so on, being on a "proper" salary isn't as great as it once sounded. I think if it was going up with inflation, it wouldn't be so bad; but in reality if I do move to M2 next year, it won't feel like much because it's probably only in line with inflation.
    The last mailing I had from the NUSUWT said, and I quote, "a decision has yet to be made about whether the pay freeze will affect pay progression". Do you know if this has been confirmed?

5. I'm struggling on M1 too. I live in London and get the central London pay but I still find it hard to live on. I have 'enough' to cover food, rent, travel etc but that is it. I can't afford gym membership, I can't afford to go out most weekends. I never go clothes shopping. Rent in London is so high. My partner and I don't exactly live in a luxury apartment (far, far from it in fact..you should see the mould in the bathroom!) but we pay a fortune each month. <>
    I couldn't believe how much tax, national insurance and pension got deducted!! Part of my problem is also that I had to borrow money from the bank and from relatives during my PGCE as my partner was unfortunately unemployed for a long period. Now we are struggling to pay it back and can only pay very small amounts each month. I'm dreading student loan repayments too. From past experience after my BA they will start to take it in April no matter what!

6. Still can't get the hang of inserting or which one it is so that I get paragraphs!!

7. bettieblu

bettieblu New commenter

to the OP try being on M1 and a single mum of a teenager who will no longer be entitled to the vital EMA to get to college. Perhaps see if you can get a part time job - not a luxury for a parent but some of my single younger friends are doing bar work in local pubs at the weekend, or try doing the 1-2-1 tuition (this will stop in April however), you can select how many kids you do and its around &pound;25/ hr so can easily bump up your wage if you take a couple of students a week. Websites like Martin Moneysaverexpert are helpful for vouchers and special deals as well as money advice. But just imagine how hard its going to be for the teachers of the future paying back &pound;9k/ year just on tutition fees!
    Good luck, bettie

8. it is totally subjective as everybody's expenses are different/ travel costs/ area of living. When I began on M1 I lived by myself, taking home just over &pound;1200 after tax, NI, pension contributions. &pound;325 went on rent, (small, 2 bed house), &pound;75 on council tax, about &pound;40 gas and electric, &pound;20 water, &pound;14 tv license, &pound;10 house insurance, &pound;40 phone and internet, &pound;60 food and other expendibles, through VERY careful budgetting, smaller portions, (making up meals I can take to work such as lasagne I can get 2 days out of it, saves me cooking 1 day lol) and bulk buying food and drinks and shopping around. &pound;10 on mobile (on o2 payg) and my commute was around 15 min drive each way (total car costs around: &pound;90 a month - tax, mot, insurance, petrol). that all comes to around &pound;700. that still left me with around &pound;500 a month to pay off my student overdraft and pay for other "luxuries". I appreciate that I live in a cheaper part of the country so my rent will be a lot lower than some areas but other things prices wont vary all that much and I think it is worth spending a good week shopping round and getting the savings for stuff like house insurance, food and car insurance as well as saving as much energy round the house (sorry to sound all tree-huggy but I'm now on a water meter that was free to put in and its saved me around &pound;20 a month- or as i like to think of it, it pays all my water bill now!). I now live with my fiance who is on minimum wage and had a daughter to support and so our bills were combined. we put in &pound;450 each into the joint account each month which covers all bills and rent. we've saved because we want to buy our own house when i get a permanant job and i still have a bit spare for nights out etc. so out of the combined &pound;900 we put in, we save over &pound;200 which means really we only use around &pound;700 for essentials. on my salary alone, that would leave around &pound;500 a month. if your rent was &pound;200 more than ours then you could still manage &pound;300 a month as leftovers. all I can say is to echo what others have said in that wages in comparison to inflation are ****, but in relation to student income are fantastic, and really the only extra expenses are tax, NI, pension and if you dont live alone, the extra 25% council tax. good luck with it all
    Joanne

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I'm no fan of student fees in their present guise, never mind the huge leap that's about to take place in student debt, but students of the future would have to be on rather high wages to be paying back &pound;9k per year!
    They will possibly accrue &pound;9k per year in fee debt but wil not start to make repayments until they're earning over &pound;21k (as opposed to &pound;15k at present) and deductions on earnings over 321k will bethe current 9% I believe.
    The upshot will be that they'll pay back less per month/year but will continue to pay for more years.
    I reckon that more and more clued-up youngsters will forego university immediately after school. They'll either get onto direct professional training (one big firm has already talked about going after A level students instead of graduates for Accountancy traineeships) or they'll take a few independent years to work and save, travel or claim JSA and will then not be assessed on their parents' income. That will mean fee assistance, free fees and bursaries (not repayable) for more students.

10. bettieblu

bettieblu New commenter

this is what I meant acrrueing the &pound;9k tutition fees per year plus any other loans etc . probably unclear in my previous post
    and this is what many of my current year 12 students (and my son) have said they are going to do - I suspect that uni applications will stay as current this year and then drop quite dramatically for 2012 entry - will be interesting to see what happens tbh. Not quite sure how its going to affect trainee teachers, doctors and nurses of the future [​IMG]

11. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

When I was on my pgce last year my husband was supporting us fully with his NQT wage. We didnt find it hard to live on at all and we have a 3 bed house mortgage and he has a guitar problem. We were saving up for a wedding too.

12. OP I feel your pain.

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Applications for medical school will remain high as they know that they'll eventually be on good money.
    I'm not sure about Nursing.
    The indications are that the PGCE route into teaching will be sharply diminished in favour of training on the job. That could be seen as a boost to the GTP programme but I rather think that we'll be seeng more people without a degree being put through school-based training. TA to HLTA to Cover supervisor to Associate Teacher ?
    More schools will go down the Academy route and the Burgundy Book and Teachers' Pay scales will be marginalised. Academies can set their own pay and conditions and might perhaps bring in a two-tier pay structure to cater for degree and non-degree teachers. They'll use their extra funding and savings on teacher pay to provide more assistants to keep a lid on behaviour.

14. Dylan, man up and deal with it, you moaning wet ponce. GRRRR!

15. How very helpful.

16. mysterycat

mysterycat New commenter

I agree it is tough but it is only for a short time. Just try to get through it and see the bigger picture. In a few years you will have promotion and hopefuly things will settle down financially. The pay at the start is comparitively low for the amount of work you have to put in but it does settle down. At least you are doing something you enjoy so hold on to that.

17. I think the trouble here is having had money in the past. You tend not to miss what you haven't had, but if you've been able to spend money on yourself before or while being a student, you're going to be peeved now. I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't be able to treat yourself every now and again but the fact is you're able to pay all of your bills, run a car, eat and keep a roof over your head. There will be time when you'll have a few bob more in the future, but don't be too eager. Just think: you could have kids and could kiss goodbye to every penny.

18. Try living on a supply teacher's pay. I'm looking forward to being back on M1 - it'll be such a luxury.

When I was before, I never had a problem paying for everything, and always had left over money.

And to the person who said that for £25 a week on food you can only eat baked beans, I pay not much more than £25 for two week's of food (not including the occasional meal out / takeaway), and I won't touch beans with a bargepole. I have a very varied, well balanced diet. What on earth are you buying to spend £40 a week on food for one person??

19. Cheers!

20. i hope that stuart dann doesn't offer the same kind of constructive "advice" to his pupils. and really think the vocabulary used could be perceived to be very insulting. if you've got nothing constructive to add, save your time and dont bother posting. or if that's what passes for "recreation" in your mind, I'd find something else more worthwhile to occupy your time.