1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Struggling NQTs: Hows your first week back been?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by msloops, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Hello,
    Just a message for any and all of the other NQTs who've posted on here with various problems and woes: how has your first week back at school been? I am sure others like me have attempted to have a 'fresh start' after the Christmas break - mine didn't go as I had planned, the holidays are long forgotten and once again I'm feeling very bogged down in work.
    It's always so up and down - I had a pretty good day Friday, so went home really pleased with myself for the weekend, but now I've had a bloody awful day and everything seems completely impossible again..

2. skellig1182

skellig1182 New commenter

I don't think that will ever change im afraid. You can have a wonderful day and then an awful one. However, what you will find is, those horrible days get less and less. In my NQT year 2 days were good, followed by 2 bad days. In my last term, it was 3 days good and 2 days bad. This year it's mostly just one afternoon a fourtnight or a couple of days a month.The rest of the time their angels.

3. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

I don't want to sound cocksure but surely the key is finding out why you are feeling down about it all? Is it because you are an NQT or is it because you teach? I find more and more NQTs saying they realise that they made a mistake coming into teaching and I can't work it out. Surely in your training years you decided it WAS for you?
    I'm into term 2 as a year 5 teacher and despite being at a demanding high achieving school with very challenging children, I've loved every minute! I'm 41 and had plenty of previous work and I can honestly say it's the best job in the world.
    It's hard work, that will never change. You have lots of paperwork, that will never change. You have demanding needy children, that will never change. So adopt a 'can do' attitude, hold your head up high and graft graft graft, it's bloody brilliant man! You should feel proud and honoured to be a teacher not down about it all.
    Thanks
    David
    x

4. Thank you for that David. You're right, there are many rewarding parts of teaching. It is very up and down, I wrote that on a bad day, and from the looks of your post, you wrote yours on a good one!

I think the worst part is being told I'm **** all the time, being told I can't teach, and having kids shout, swear, throw things, and make rude personal comments. Had an awful day yesterday then I saw a gang of year 8 students who'd been horrible to me earlier. They screamed at me in the street then followed me home shouting at me...at that point I will admit I wasn't feeling particularly honoured to teach those particular kids

5. baileysonice

baileysonice New commenter

Msloops, that is truly awful - I'm not surprised you're feeling down about teaching in those circumstances. Can SLT do anything about this harassment by pupils? I thought I'd been having a tough time with behaviour in primary as an NQT, but it's nothing in comparison with what you've had to deal with - I'm horrified that you've been treated this way. It's totally unacceptable behaviour by the students.

6. Thanks!that description probably made it sound worse than it was...not that I said anything that hasn't happened. but i do teach some lovely kids too. when ithink about it, if it wasn't for 2-3 kids with a nasty streak, I would feel so much better about teaching in general! i am glad it sounds bad to you too - so i'm not the only one who thinks it's outrageous that they think they can get away with trying to intimidate me out of school time... hopefully SLT will be horrified when they hear too! I don't know if they can do anything but i do hope i can get them into Big Trouble

7. Horrible! I hope you can get that sorted soon and you know who the individuals were. I too get told I'm **** all the time as do the other NQTs I work with so don't worry. Had an incident with hate mail before Christmas which my HoD has been trying to sort. I can fully understand why you've been feeling like this following your shouting in the street incident. My question would be why do they bother? Surely they have better things to do?

8. Thanks :) I know 3 of them for definite. I don't know who the others were.They all seemed to recognise me and find it absolutely hilarious that I should be walking along a pavement with a shopping bag (heaven forbid!), so I guess they were all from my school, but they had hoods up. they think theyre gangsters. I made sure to have a good look at the faces of the ones I know so I could confidently report it

9. Mmmm, first year KS 2/3 student here, should I find something else to do perhaps?