1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Struggling NQT

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by manee2203, Mar 6, 2011.

1. I started my job in September and I am now just about half way through my NQT year. I managed to pass my lesson observations in the first term getting satisfactory with elements of good in both obs. Both of these lesson obs were with Year 7 classes which tend to work well with me.
    Second term and I now have to have observations with one of my KS4 classes. I have struggled with teaching my Year 10 group and I have asked for help with my teaching in the past. First observation was deemed inadequate having failed just about every criteria. My HoD then had to repeat the obs to see if this was just a bad day but sadly I got yet another inadequate. I did get some feedback from my HoD and I was told that the starter was good but it went down hill from then. The students aren't engaged in the lesson and go off task. My behaviour management is not good and I need to work on follow up the list goes on. I now need to get ready for this half terms obs and I need to choose a class to be observed with. I struggle to engage all of my classes outside of year 7 and so I know that I am going to fail with which ever class I pick. Confidence level is on the floor and I am just ticking off the days until the end of the year when I can leave teaching. I was thinking of resigning and leaving in April but then I thought I would have struggled through nearly 2 years and have no qualification to show at the end of it. But if I am going to fail this term then I am not sure why I am bothering since I am not going to pass my induction year at this rate any way.
    I have asked for behaviour management training back in November but nothing has come through. My HoD has now offered to go through my lesson plans with me so that I can ensure that it has the pace to engage the kids. I've told my HoD how I feel and I now think she is motivated to help me because she has never had a failiure on her team.
    What additional support should I be asking for from my dept? My HoD offered to take away my second set GCSE class and give me a set 4 BTEC group. I am not sure if that is going to work but at least the GCSE class would be given a better teacher but I don't want to be left trying to manage another group with behaviour issues (I already have two bottom set BTEC groups on my timetable).
    I went into school on Friday and sat at my desk before school started and cried. I really did not want to be there, however, I managed to pull myself together and get through the day.
    My goal is to get through to the end of the year and then quit. I am a mature NQT so I do have the option of looking for a job in my old profession. I just need to know what would happen to me if I fail my next observation. Would I be made to quit? Would I have to repeat the term (I don't think I could cope with that)?
    Thanks for your advice

2. I started my job in September and I am now just about half way through my NQT year. I managed to pass my lesson observations in the first term getting satisfactory with elements of good in both obs. Both of these lesson obs were with Year 7 classes which tend to work well with me.
    Second term and I now have to have observations with one of my KS4 classes. I have struggled with teaching my Year 10 group and I have asked for help with my teaching in the past. First observation was deemed inadequate having failed just about every criteria. My HoD then had to repeat the obs to see if this was just a bad day but sadly I got yet another inadequate. I did get some feedback from my HoD and I was told that the starter was good but it went down hill from then. The students aren't engaged in the lesson and go off task. My behaviour management is not good and I need to work on follow up the list goes on. I now need to get ready for this half terms obs and I need to choose a class to be observed with. I struggle to engage all of my classes outside of year 7 and so I know that I am going to fail with which ever class I pick. Confidence level is on the floor and I am just ticking off the days until the end of the year when I can leave teaching. I was thinking of resigning and leaving in April but then I thought I would have struggled through nearly 2 years and have no qualification to show at the end of it. But if I am going to fail this term then I am not sure why I am bothering since I am not going to pass my induction year at this rate any way.
    I have asked for behaviour management training back in November but nothing has come through. My HoD has now offered to go through my lesson plans with me so that I can ensure that it has the pace to engage the kids. I've told my HoD how I feel and I now think she is motivated to help me because she has never had a failiure on her team.
    What additional support should I be asking for from my dept? My HoD offered to take away my second set GCSE class and give me a set 4 BTEC group. I am not sure if that is going to work but at least the GCSE class would be given a better teacher but I don't want to be left trying to manage another group with behaviour issues (I already have two bottom set BTEC groups on my timetable).
    I went into school on Friday and sat at my desk before school started and cried. I really did not want to be there, however, I managed to pull myself together and get through the day.
    My goal is to get through to the end of the year and then quit. I am a mature NQT so I do have the option of looking for a job in my old profession. I just need to know what would happen to me if I fail my next observation. Would I be made to quit? Would I have to repeat the term (I don't think I could cope with that)?
    Thanks for your advice

3. marymjn

marymjn New commenter

It really does sound awful, but try not to get disheartened. The more depressed about it you get, the lower your confidence will be and that will reflect in your teaching.
    It sounds like you're doing the right things in terms of seeking help from your department. My advice would be to go right back to basics with your classes. Begin each lesson with students copying out your rules and explaining clearly the consequences of not meeting your expectations. Plan short activities and list them on the board so they know exactly what they need to achieve in that lesson. Make phonecalls to parents of the worst offenders and just keep implementing your school's behaviour management policy. Putting students on departmental report works well for me, as does going to their tutors to seek their support. Often the tutor can have great influence over a class! I struggled when I was training because the school made me feel that doing this was a sign of failure - but it's not! It takes time, but if you keep up the hardline approach then eventually they'll get the message.
    Potentially you may have to complete an extention to your induction, but it is rare that they'll get rid of you half way through the year unless you're a danger to the students which I'm sure is not the case!

4. If your school has Heads of Year ask them to 'pop in' during difficult lessons under some excuse then they can remove the serious behaviour issue students and keep rest on their toes. Same goes for any other SLT or your HOD. Use the power/respect/fear (whatever you want to call it) of others until you can build up some of your own. Don't feel you are in this alone.

5. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

Hi some good advice above but to be honest the hod must a complete (use your imagination!) to insist on observing you on this year 10 class! Firstly they should observe you with the same class as before so you can demonstrate progression in your teaching. Then look at what you are doing right with the year 10s. Then work how some targets on what you should be doing with the year 10s.

I'm guessing the year 10s are a bottom set? I started with all bottom sets and had a really difficult class that I failed on. So I tightened up my behaviour management, got a regular ta for the toughest nuts in there and borrowed a student teacher to sit next to one kid that had a thing for racist language. Worked a treat and got a good. Observations are there to show you have the skills and rapore with students. We aren't miracle workers and the whole school shares responsibility for behaviour management. Team work. A word sadly missing in many hods dictionaries!