1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Struggling In New Job

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by wogirl88, Sep 8, 2020.

1. wogirl88

wogirl88 New commenter

I've just completed my NQT year and due to covid had to find a new job. I got one very last minute and have just started. I feel completely overwhelmed. I've had no time to prepare, don't know who my new colleagues are, have yet to see a contract or discuss salary. I know that I can't back out but I have a bad gut feeling that I can't shake. My previous school was incredibly supportive and I miss my old colleagues.
    I've had a lot of family difficulties this year so that could be contributing to the feelings of anxiety.
    I feel completely in over my head. Any suggestion on how to get through it and not dread going in everyday?

2. JJ83

JJ83 Occasional commenter

How many days have you been there?
    Make a list of things in order of priority that you need to know and go from there.
    Book an appointment in with HR to discuss contract/salary etc
    There will be someone in your department/team who will help you - starting a new job is tricky but hopefully when you have found your feet in a few weeks the initial feeling of dread will go away.
    BEST OF LUCK

agathamorse likes this.
  3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Try to take each day as it comes.

I have anxiety. I go for a walk every evening, and I read before bed - both of these are calming activities for me.

Give yourself a reasonable deadline, say October half term or Christmas, to acclimatise. Then, if you still feel it's a bad decision, make plans to leave.

Accept the job for what it is - money in the bank, and experience on your cv.

If you don't stay in this school, it's fine. You can move on.

Good luck!

4. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

Try not to panic - it's early days. All of us, no matter how experiened, feel overwhelmed at the start of term and often desperately so if it's a new school where we don't know how anything works or who to ask about anything. Add to that the chaos this year of trying to make everything work within the covid protection measures and it's not surprising at all to feel lost - Covid also might mean that your new colleagues have had more to think about and less time to help you find your feet than they would have liked.

Tell yourself it's normal to feel like this - that always helps me - and focus on getting through one day at a time for now. It very probably will get better and if it doesn't, you don't have to stay.

SundaeTrifle and agathamorse like this.
  5. wogirl88

wogirl88 New commenter

Thank you all for the replies and advice. It did get easier and I have settled a bit more. I am trying not to bring work home with me and am working on not feeling anxious the night before.

6. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

Some workplaces are better set up than others with inducting new staff. Your colleagues are probably unfortunately too busy with their own workload. I have had good and bad experiences in starting new schools and also observed others having difficult starts.

Focus on your health. Sleep, eat healthily, drink water, go for walks in fresh air. Have cut off points from work, plan treats. This is a tough term.

agathamorse likes this.