1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Struggling ICT coordinator

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by acceb, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Hi all, I'm in my 3rd year as a teacher and ICT coordinator. Most of my non-contact time is used to sort out technical problems. We do have an ICT technician, that comes in each week, who deals with server problems, but things like the VLE, website and 144 laptops, are taking over.
    However, my subject knowldge is not as developed as I would want it to be in order to lead a subject.
    Don't really know what im asking for but some advice on where to begin, essential resources for the usual ICT topics etc...
    Acceb

2. Hi all, I'm in my 3rd year as a teacher and ICT coordinator. Most of my non-contact time is used to sort out technical problems. We do have an ICT technician, that comes in each week, who deals with server problems, but things like the VLE, website and 144 laptops, are taking over.
    However, my subject knowldge is not as developed as I would want it to be in order to lead a subject.
    Don't really know what im asking for but some advice on where to begin, essential resources for the usual ICT topics etc...
    Acceb

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

4. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Key one is NOT to do tech support. You're a teacher, you're not employed to do this.
    I'm guessing primary so follow BB's advice above.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

You could present a convincing case for website management being a clerical and administrative task, and therefore outside the terms and conditions of your teacher's contract.

A properly-designed school website should be accessible to clerical staff for updates of routine school information. They send it out in letters to parents, so why not update it online as well?

You aren't a technician either. I tried doubling as a teacher/technician in the past and it drove me scatty. Leave technical issues for the weekly support person. If that's not good enough let the Head find a solution.