1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Struggling for a training provider !

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by PeGA, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Looking for some guidance if anyone can help me out.
    I am based in the West Midlands / Staffordshire.
    I have applied for 2 GTP PE courses and have since been offered a Job in a secondary school, now the problem lies in that 1 of the training providers will not support the school who have offered me a job, as they do not form part of their consortium, and as of yet i have ot heard anything of my application.
    Second issue is the other training provider has rejected my application on the grounds i do not have enough experience, i fail to see how personally when i have worked in schools for 10 years in a full time capacity as PE cover and a sports coach i have also been working voluntary in 2 High schools to further help me application.
    The school is looking in to other training providers and also contesting the 2nd application that had been rejected, but can anyone suggest somewhere who will train me? As i am desperate to get started on a course come september ideally.
    I hold a Degree in Sports Studies, A-C in English and Maths, and as previously stated 10 years of wokring in schools for PE departments and Sports Coaching instruction.
    Any suggestions greatly recieved

2. hi wondering if anyone can help me im hoping to undertake a GTP in business studies or a p.g.c.e but at teh moment im struggling to get into a school for 2weeks voluntary work-why is this? Ive been told its because schools do not want to take you on board because they do not want to undertake a CRB check. I just wondering if i cannot get work experience how am i going to get a supporting school for my gtp year?.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Schools are under great pressure to provide work placements for a variety of students and trainee teachers. It is a matter of persisting and knocking on doors.GTP is highly oversubscribed and priority given to shortage subjects such as Maths & Science. The majority of successful GTP's I see have worked as a TA in schools first to gain classroom experience. There are more openings via PGCE but you should apply soon as the places are likely to be filled very quickly

4. Still having no Joy
    have been told that no one knows the allocation of places yet, but i can see others are getting interviews.
    I am having lesson Observations now to further strengthen my application, i am getting a bit frustrated knowing that some people have little experience are getting interviews and i meet the requirements and more and seem to be deemed not fit for an inteview !

5. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

I am currently doing my GTP in drama, similar to the OP, a non-shortage subject.
    I have been asked to speak at GTP open evenings, and one of the questions asked to the director of the course is what they look for in an application. His response was along the lines of: The candidate must have experience in the area they want to teach, plus a relevant degree, and A-C in Maths and English (+Science if primary). The candidate must also display a passion for teaching, and be able to demonstrate their enthusiasm and commitment to it.
    Prior to my GTP I had worked in a couple of special schools on a temp basis whilst at Uni, and 1 year full time as a TA/Carer in a mainstream school. (Although at the time of applying I had only worked there for 3 months). I am not intending to irritate anyone who has more experience, but am trying to highlight the fact that it is more than experience that providers are looking for. When working as a TA I 'gave' myself to the drama department, running their drama club, organising extra curricular trips, directing productions, and where possible observing lessons. I think this showed that I was willing to put the effort in on a voluntary basis, and so of course I would do it paid!!
    I also feel the GTP is about flexibility, you have to be able to get things wrong to succeed. A question in your EBITT's mind may well be, why have you left it 10 years to qualify? Some people I know have applied so they get a pay rise, so does your application give that impression?

I am not an expert on the GTP, just a trainee sharing my experiences.

6. cupofteacher

I forgot to add...
    Do you think being qualified in the current climate will make you more desirable to an employee? The unfortunate reality is that schools are emplying more and more unqualified staff as they are cheaper.

7. cupofteacher

I can completely understand your frustration especially when you have school support. If your school are willing to employ you, that indicates you are good at your job, so it might be that your application is not selling yourself the way you think it is. Alternatively if your school are that willing to take you on, would they fund your training?