1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Struggling at school - behaviour

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by laylala, Dec 6, 2018.

1. laylala

laylala New commenter

Hi,

A primary school teacher in year 3. Had an amazing year last year but moved schools this year.

Finding that I cannot manage my class this year. Nothing seems to work! I follow the behaviour policy to T. I tried to be kind and quiet and mellow as I was in my previous school. This didn’t work. I’ve become a a monster at this school! Shouting and raising my voice. I almost don’t recognise myself.

Anyway it’s driving me crazy and really bringing me down as I feel so low and **** at my job.

Any tips? Thanks!

2. starbuck

starbuck New commenter

This must be really difficult, but we've all been there at some point. I have found that targeting specific behaviour and creating a behaviour plan helps. I know this sounds simplistic but bear with me; I create a description of the behaviour, a rationale for change ( obviously something like learning cannot take place effectively while behaviour persists) this rationale helps if managers question the time and effort being spent on the issue. I then create a strategy, usually best to do this collegiately with a manager or colleague. The next step is to implement the strategy fully, consistently, and ensure all adults in class implement your strategy too ( this isn't always possible but do what you can). Try to keep a continuous assessment of the success, or not, of the strategy. Above all, implement your strategy confidently! Behaviour change takes time so don't be disheartened. I hope this helps

Lalad likes this.