1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Struggling after a car accident

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by gemmamarie08, Jan 16, 2012.

1. gemmamarie08

gemmamarie08 New commenter

Hi All,
    Just after somewhere to have a bit of a vent[​IMG])
    I suffered very bad whiplash injuries in the crash and have had 18 sessions of Physio to try to help the problems (I am very slight in build and the force of the impact caused a lot of damage).
    Phyio has said to try without going now for a bit as I think she has done all she can but I'm in so much pain all the time[​IMG] I struggle to stand up for a full lesson, can't sleep because the pain keeps me awake so I'm shattered at work and struggle to even sit in the classroom comfortably (I'm lucky I teach in a SFC and have classes who are understanding but I teach in a lab with stools)
    Aaargh!!!!! It's just getting me down so much[​IMG] I have a doctors app later in the week for further advice so will see what he says!

2. gemmamarie08

Hi All,
    Just after somewhere to have a bit of a vent[​IMG])
    I suffered very bad whiplash injuries in the crash and have had 18 sessions of Physio to try to help the problems (I am very slight in build and the force of the impact caused a lot of damage).
    Phyio has said to try without going now for a bit as I think she has done all she can but I'm in so much pain all the time[​IMG] I struggle to stand up for a full lesson, can't sleep because the pain keeps me awake so I'm shattered at work and struggle to even sit in the classroom comfortably (I'm lucky I teach in a SFC and have classes who are understanding but I teach in a lab with stools)
    Aaargh!!!!! It's just getting me down so much[​IMG] I have a doctors app later in the week for further advice so will see what he says!

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

I sympathise. Is it worth trying a chiropractor or osteopath?

4. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi Gemma,
    Can you get your Dr. appointment sooner, rather than later, in the week? Is taking pain relief out of the question? If you Google "Pain Management" that will give you alternate ideas possibly. I don't think you should be working, but you are lucky to have understanding students!

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'd say an osteopath will help you for sure.

6. gemmamarie08

Thank you all for your replies! Belle - Just read your post about your accident and spine - I hope you're ok!
    Unfortunately I can't get into the GP before Wednesday as no appointments (even emergency ones) but should help when I do get there as he is a good GP.
    I'm fortunate to have a very nice and supportive manager who I went to speak to today to say I was struggling and they are going to sort out comfy chairs for the two labs I teach in and he said I should sit down where possible (I was worried to do this in case people walked past and wondered why I was sat down although the whole department knows about the accident) so that's a bonus!
    Hopefully it will feel better soon!

7. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

After a similar experience (crash, injury, lots of physio but still not better) I eventually paid and went to an Osteopath and found it gave me real relief. A combination of deep tisue massage, clicking my bones and some accupuncture helped. I'm still not 100% recovered, however.
    I'd recommend first going to bac to you doctor. It sounds like you should be referred for a scan to see if there's anything more sinister going on.
    Get well soon xxx

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Still in a lot of pain but ok. Thanks for asking .I shall take my own advice in a few weeks and get to thee osteopath!
    Hope you're feeling better too.