1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Struggle with Literacy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Apr 27, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hi I feel for you, I felt the same about Maths for a few years!! Ok here is what I find useful!

1Research 'talk for writing' - this will help with your shared writing. Basically you take a story, Write it as a whole class, then adapt aspects of it, then the kids write their own. It's a good process to follow and you can apply it across the genres. Pie Corbett is the name to google.

Also when i'm shared writing- I pick out things I want them to hit and show them how to work this into their writing, but using their ideas. For example, they will think of who the main character is and name them, then i'll write a really boring opening sentence and if say, our focus was adjectives, they would improve it by adding adjectives to make it more interesting. Then this continues with different aspects, like including speech, or connectives, or anything like that. Eventually the kids get used to this, and you start to be able to throw in 3 or 4 things at once, so in this paragraph, you will include a question, adjectives, connectives different to 'and' and speech and then we write it together taking their ideas and linking them with my own and weaving everything in. Then usually we read it together and then the kids go off and write their own and the less able carry on from where my paragraph left off. I've found this to be quite effective as it gives them a framework and for those who are less able, a springboard to bounce their work off. You can also differentiate because your bottom group may just be doing capital letters and full stops, where as your tops you may be expecting to have their speech correctly punctuated. If that makes sense.

I don't know if that helps at all? I :-S

2. Hi, I had exactly the same problem when I started teaching. I am a writer as well as a teacher and found writing really hard to teach because it's something I can just do- I don't know how or why, I just can. I was really, really awful at maths though and found this much easier to teach because I knew what the kids would find tricky- exactly the same things that I found tricky. I discovered Ros Wilson's Big Writing a couple of years ago- when I started teaching y6- and it was a revelation, making good writing transparent for me and the kids. Follow this link, http://www.andrelleducation.co.uk/home/ , it sounds like it's exactly what you need! Hope this helps[​IMG]