1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Struggle is not necessarily a bad thing...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Jan 8, 2019.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Quoting my own thread here but without apology.

What do you think?

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I think that this is shown in research. Some stress is required in life.

border_walker and Jamvic like this.
  3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Bugg3r research What about common sense?

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Depends - not all the time - it wears you out.

5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Emotional responses about an emotional response?

6. Owennnn

Owennnn Occasional commenter

I think the importance must be on the degree of struggle.
    As a teacher, I've always found to have more respect for students who fight and scrape to achieve an A, than those who can waltz in after little/no revision and comfortably get the same grade, generally those who fight for their grades will end up doing much better in life having built the character and attitude they need to succeed.

Struggling and striving to achieve is admirable, and of course builds character, however being denied opportunities, that others can easily achieve, despite working as hard as possible against the odds can also sometimes be detrimental. Struggling to afford food, or housing, or to pay the bills is a struggle that I feel nobody should have to live through.

7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Is struggling a good or bad thing? Who knows?

This is the story of an old Chinese farmer who lived many years ago.

He had one old horse that he used to plough his fields. One day, the horse ran away into the hills. Everyone said, “We are so sorry for your bad luck.”
    The old man replied, “Bad luck, good luck, who knows?”

A week later, the horse returned with a herd of wild horses, which now belonged to the old man. Everyone said, “We are so happy for your good luck!”
    The old man replied, “Good luck, bad luck, who knows?”

While his only son was riding one of the wild horses, he fell off and broke his leg. Everyone said, “What bad luck!”
    The old man replied, “Bad luck, good luck, who knows?”

One day, the army came to the village, and took all the strong young men to be soldiers for the emperor. Only the old farmer’s son was spared, because he could not fight with a broken leg. Everyone said, “What good luck!”
    The old man replied, “Good luck, bad luck, who knows?”