1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Struggl

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by laylala, Dec 8, 2018.

1. laylala

laylala New commenter

Hi,

Really struggling with a variety of things in my current school. Awful behaviour, poor behaviour policy, lack of support, assessment, other policies etc etc.

Only started in September but want to hand my notice in ASAP to move schools again. Is this a wise idea? Or will it look bad? I could do supply I’m thinking.

It’s definitely the best thing to do for my mental health, but worry about leaving and how it will look as well as potential lack of money for a bit.

Any tips/ thoughts/ advice much appreciated!!

Thank you.

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

don't worry about how it looks, it makes the school look bad, not you, thousands of teachers find themselves in horrific situation and leave, and any decent school knows this, looking through applications

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

leave, there is only one you, and you only get one life, but there are thousands of other jobs

4. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Get yourself out of there and have a far better life within a week. Or stay and watch thick, failing mismanagers strip away all your health and self-esteem. Time for a sharp exit....

5. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Occasional commenter

Yes, I too would advise you to start looking elsewhere. It doesn't sound like a good school to be in.

laylala and agathamorse like this.
  6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I once lasted a shorter time than you have already managed in a school that wasn’t right for me - hasn’t done my career any harm at all.

If it’s making you miserable, just leave ASAP - probably the best thing for both parties. Sometimes it just isn’t the right ‘fit’.

7. WTDT

WTDT New commenter

Teaching is a super difficult profession - particularly now, particularly if you are conscientious and particularly if you’re in a difficult school.

I made the difficult decision earlier this year to start my process out of education. I now work part-time (2 days a week) and actually have been working on ways to help teachers either cope within in teaching or support them leaving.

I have developed a guide that helps you decide if you should stay or go. It is free. I'm happy to share it with you if you like - PM me and I will send the link. Hopefully it could help? My advice is to take some kind of action....nothing is worth your emotional/mental health or impact on personal relationships! Hope it works out for you. M

henrypm0 and laylala like this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You have a number of options. Two of them are:

Resign from your current school and get out on supply for a while. You can then look for other positions that way.

Stick it out until Christmas and then make lots of applications after then - if you want to maintain your current income then that's your best option.

Alternatively you may feel that teaching is not for you in that case get out as soon as possible and look for a temporary job to tide you over for a bit.

I know where you are coming from - I worked in a school as you describe early in my career. I managed to see out the academic year and then found a lovely school.

But ultimately it must be your decision.

9. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

It depends on your situation. If you have a mortgage, dependents etc then it might be wiser just to stick it out whilst you apply for other jobs.
    The problem with going to do supply is that you have a break in service and also I believe that you don't pay into the teachers pension on supply. These are important things to consider.
    Might it be worth you speaking to your manager about how you are feeling and if anything can be done to help you?

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You don't pay into the pension on supply.

Oldfashioned likes this.
  11. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

I assume most state schools have a large turnover now. My NQT year was 6 years ago. I stayed at that school for just 2 years. I had a look at their website the other day and there's 2 remaining staff out of 8 in my department when I started there.

I'm about to leave my second school in January. Moving to the private sector.

henrypm0 likes this.
  12. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

These things happen sadly. I'd avoid supply if possible. I do supply and once you are stuck with the title 'supply' employers don't tend to want to offer you permanent roles.

Find a job then resign.

13. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Better a break in service than broken health. A lot for the op to weigh up.

henrypm0 likes this.
  14. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

True.

15. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Run far, run fast. Good luck.

16. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter