1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Structured play for year 1?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dolly P, Jul 17, 2008.

1. I am teaching Year 1 for the first time next year, having taught Year 3 for the past 3 years. I have conflicting ideas in my school about how best to teach them. Some say use the autumn term to give structured play activities to ease them into Year 1, and some say that the class should get used to more formal methods of teaching as soon as possible. I'm unsure on it all, as I am totally new to this year of teaching. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas that I could use to help me with planning?
    Thank you!

2. I am teaching Year 1 for the first time next year, having taught Year 3 for the past 3 years. I have conflicting ideas in my school about how best to teach them. Some say use the autumn term to give structured play activities to ease them into Year 1, and some say that the class should get used to more formal methods of teaching as soon as possible. I'm unsure on it all, as I am totally new to this year of teaching. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas that I could use to help me with planning?
    Thank you!

3. We work very much on a structured play system for at least the first term of Year 1 whilst still providing some sessions of focussed teaching. Year 1 and Year 2 both have home corners and snad / water trays. Personally I'd say go for it, but how it will be perceived with your school and Head may swing that!

4. Hi,

We are trialing a new approach to year 1 transition this year by teaching soley using the foundation stage profile.
    I do teach at a very low achieving school which is why we are taking this approach but I think it will be very effective. If you want a copy of the timetable and planning template I can send it onto you?

Emyj347

5. We have structured play throughout Y1!

Emyj, I would love to see your planning and timetable if you would sent it to me that would be fab!!

Thanks

emmaangeluk@yahoo.co.uk

6. Emyj is it possible that I could have a peek as well please? I have been searching for something to start me off on the correct track. Thank you.
    rrg@blueyonder.co.uk

7. judeahart

judeahart New commenter

8. neli

neli Occasional commenter

Me too Emy, I was in year 1 for the first time in a long time this year and feel like I really struggled all year as everything has changed so much.

I would like to do a better job next year.

Neli

nolanhln@aol.com

9. I try not to jump on bandwagons but I am moving from Y4/5 to a play-based Y1 class. Please could you send me your template?
    kirkbear@hotmail.co.uk

10. Hi,

I'm also moving to Year 1 from Key Stage 2. I'm still trying to get my head round the transition issues. Please could I have a copy too?

valeriesaker@lycos.co.uk

11. I would really like a copy of the planning template too as I'm teaching Year 1 for the first time next year and am trying to get my head round combining play and all the coverage of the curriculum. Thank you!

buttoncatherine@hotmail.com

12. I am also looking to change our year 1 transition for the 1st term, could i have a copy too please?

sian_182@yahoo.co.uk

13. EmyJ please could I jump on that bandwagon as well. I have spent my evening trying to work out how to do this as am moving from Y2 to Y1.
    Many thanks
    allison.delort@btinternet.com

14. Hi there Emyj347!

I have mixed Y1/2 class and would love to take a look at what you have on offer.

Thanks in advance

anglesarke@yahoo.co.uk

15. i teach foundation and our year 1 very much follows on from what we do-for the children that need it (most!) e carry on using the EYFS and run the day with whole class sessions followed by small group work, the rest of the children have a choice of 12 structured play activities from'play boxes' which they work through independently-these are changed every 10 days or so. The activities are based on learning intentions fro the medium term plan and include a sand activity, water, writing,role play,creative activity etc. To staff it, which ever adult (i.e teacher or ta) that isnt working with a small group moves around the chldren during their independent play to support them,observe them what ever the need is-this works very well for us. If the other year one classes are already operating with structured play in your school ask them how they run their day-they probably have some very good ideas aswell!