1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Structure of teaching Year 1...advice please¬

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by chocolateheaven4, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    I wondered if anyone could tell me the structure of a day when teaching year 1 please? This is one of the only year groups that i have not had experience in and i am going to be covering a full day next week.
    I am an NQT and as far as i have been informed, there is a lot more of group work and 'play time' as well as shorter lessons. I want to do the best that i can and can't find anywhere how the structure of their day should go.
    Can anyone help please?
    Thanks!!!

2. Hi there,
    I wondered if anyone could tell me the structure of a day when teaching year 1 please? This is one of the only year groups that i have not had experience in and i am going to be covering a full day next week.
    I am an NQT and as far as i have been informed, there is a lot more of group work and 'play time' as well as shorter lessons. I want to do the best that i can and can't find anywhere how the structure of their day should go.
    Can anyone help please?
    Thanks!!!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yr 1 comes under EYFS structure. So it may depend on the particlar school, at which stage they decide to do more class based work. We're half-way through the year so there may be a 'class slot' but I would assume group work, possibly different subjects all going on at the same time under the 'ethos' of 'play'.
    PS I'd take a supply of Post-its to make any quick observations.

4. teach321

teach321 New commenter

I think it's pretty hard to make useful observations if you don't know any of the children.
    It really depends on the school as to how they structure Y1. I've taught Y1 in some schools where it is very play-based. Have also been into schools where Y1 is very much bums on seats, similar structure to KS2 classes and no play at all.

5. I have been on supply in year 1 and it is almost always bums on seats, literacy, numeracy. science and focus on reading and writing development. I have had zero choosing time in plans I have been left- not even any art/ D&T. One of the schools is an outstanding too so ofsted obviously approve ! It really is little KS2. The schools I have been in all follow the KS1 National Curriculum guidelines and not the EYFS which is usually just nursery and reception - but this could be different in other areas so its best to check.

6. Thanks for the replies!!!
    I have been told by the teacher that it is phonics first thing followed by ICT where they have been concentrating on 'oushing and pulling' and in the afternoon i can do anything to do with pushing and pulling?!?
    I will be having a good look over the next few days but if anyone has taught similar then ideas for this would be grately appreciated!

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

My mind boggled wondering how ICT fitted into pushing & pulling ! Presumably what was meant was looking at Science topic using ICT?
    I'd get some toy vehicles out for the afternoon session & get the children to push/ pull vehicles & measure how far they travelp even better if you can get some powered vehicles, i e the ones which you pull back & release to go forwards. Build towers & see whether it's easier to push or pull them down( will depend how they're constructed & how good the 'joints' between the blocks are).

8. We had post its and the children went around the classroom sticking post its on things they could pull or push. We then had a look at everything they had labelled and tried it out and I wrote it up on the board. They then each recorded this on a sheet to go in their files showing things we can push and things we can pull. They also thought of other things outside of school such as a swing and added these to their sheets. We used the iboard as well as a resource. Think it was under Year 2 Science Forces and Movement