1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Structure of nursery class.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by stephanieb123, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Hi I have recently been given my first job as an NQT in F1 (nursery). The school runs 2 part time classes 8.45 - 11.45 and 12.15. -3.15 (however parents are welcome to pick their child up from 11.30 - 11.45 and 3.00 - 3.15). This is the first year that the school are running their F1 like this as before they had the children in only mornings from 9.00 - 1.45. I am having some trouble trying to decide on the best way to structure the day as my school want me to fit in letters and sounds and a carpet session with a focus activity (play based) linked to this topic each day as well as snack/free flow/key worker time. I have one full time TA and my NQT mentor has suggested that we divide the groups (25 each session) into 2 groups and after registration I spend 1 hour teaching my group the topic and completing the activity then have snack, letters and sounds and key worker time whislt the TA takes free flow for the other 12 children then she spends the next hour teaching these sessions to her group whist I observe/facilitate free flow with my group. However I am confused as to how this will work for example during free flow if the children only have one adult with them how can I work with groups and supervise indoor and outdoor free flow or deal with a child who has had an accident/ fall etc. Similarly it means that I won't get much contact time with 50% of the children in my classes.

I thought that maybe something along the lines of this would be more suitable
    <font face="Calibri">845 &ndash; 9 &ndash; early bird with parents.</font><font face="Calibri">9-915 reg /carpet session stories/sharing news/singing etc (in the 2 groups)</font><font face="Calibri">915-945 free flow (all children)</font><font face="Calibri">945- 10 carpet session on topic/literacy/numeracy etc (all children)</font><font face="Calibri">10 &ndash; 10.25 &ndash; snack, toilet, key worker (group 1)/(group 2) focus activity, toilet </font><font face="Calibri">10.25 &ndash; 10.45 &ndash; (group2 ) snack/keyworker /( group1) focus activity</font><font face="Calibri">10.45 &ndash; 11.15 free flow (everyone)</font><font face="Calibri">11.15 &ndash; 11.30 letters and sounds (in the 2 groups)</font>

Any advice you have would be really really appreciated.

2. Hi I have recently been given my first job as an NQT in F1 (nursery). The school runs 2 part time classes 8.45 - 11.45 and 12.15. -3.15 (however parents are welcome to pick their child up from 11.30 - 11.45 and 3.00 - 3.15). This is the first year that the school are running their F1 like this as before they had the children in only mornings from 9.00 - 1.45. I am having some trouble trying to decide on the best way to structure the day as my school want me to fit in letters and sounds and a carpet session with a focus activity (play based) linked to this topic each day as well as snack/free flow/key worker time. I have one full time TA and my NQT mentor has suggested that we divide the groups (25 each session) into 2 groups and after registration I spend 1 hour teaching my group the topic and completing the activity then have snack, letters and sounds and key worker time whislt the TA takes free flow for the other 12 children then she spends the next hour teaching these sessions to her group whist I observe/facilitate free flow with my group. However I am confused as to how this will work for example during free flow if the children only have one adult with them how can I work with groups and supervise indoor and outdoor free flow or deal with a child who has had an accident/ fall etc. Similarly it means that I won't get much contact time with 50% of the children in my classes.

I thought that maybe something along the lines of this would be more suitable
    <font face="Calibri">845 &ndash; 9 &ndash; early bird with parents.</font><font face="Calibri">9-915 reg /carpet session stories/sharing news/singing etc (in the 2 groups)</font><font face="Calibri">915-945 free flow (all children)</font><font face="Calibri">945- 10 carpet session on topic/literacy/numeracy etc (all children)</font><font face="Calibri">10 &ndash; 10.25 &ndash; snack, toilet, key worker (group 1)/(group 2) focus activity, toilet </font><font face="Calibri">10.25 &ndash; 10.45 &ndash; (group2 ) snack/keyworker /( group1) focus activity</font><font face="Calibri">10.45 &ndash; 11.15 free flow (everyone)</font><font face="Calibri">11.15 &ndash; 11.30 letters and sounds (in the 2 groups)</font>

Any advice you have would be really really appreciated.