1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Structure of lessons

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by missbumblebee123, Feb 9, 2016.

1. missbumblebee123

missbumblebee123 New commenter

Hi all,

What do you find to be the most effective way to structure lessons in SEN?

I currently alternate between a carousel style and focussed small group/individual tasks with an adult and holding tasks when not with an adult. I have no idea if this is the best approach. I rarely do a class input unless it's a story. (P5-L2 ks2 class).

What do you think is best practice/what works well for you?

2. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

I have a P4-P7 KS2 class and like you, most of my lessons are carrousel or individual/small group work.
    I used to do story as 1 group but found that splitting them up in small groups works better. Everyone does the same story, but with slightly different activities and a different pace. I create my own stories so don't have to worry about having enough copies.

I think this is the best practice although it requires a lot of planning but am also curious what others do :).

3. jumpingstar

jumpingstar New commenter

I've only just started in September in my post but have changed provision to only do small groups and 1:1 input with no whole class minus the good morning and story/goodbye at the end of the day. It has been a LOT easier to manage and I feel it is more effective (Although this is not an approach my team are used to and are having some adjustment time)

I want to develop the "holding" activities - as you put it - to a more structured approach but am only just starting with this... I feel it is a lot of teaching the children to be independent as they are so used to relying on adult support