1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

structure of lesson - help x

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by blue123, May 18, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    Feel totally out of control with my structure and would really appreciate some ideas/help
    This is a typical teaching session -
    Have whole class teaching input about 10/15 mins - then 1 Adult Directed group (x6)with me or T.A and 1 Adult Directed Group of 1:1(x5) children who need extra help (say letter formation) with me or T.A. So after the input 7 children are working with an adult and 23 are in CP. The children in CP are usually very busy but never seem to do the activity I have set out. When the A.D work is finished both adults are then free to modle play/observe.
    How do others structure their A.D work?? I tried 1 adult always being free but then hardly any A.D work was being done. On the other hand when both adults are doing A.D at same time - I feel CI play is poor!!!
    Ideas very welcome xx

2. Hello all,
    Feel totally out of control with my structure and would really appreciate some ideas/help
    This is a typical teaching session -
    Have whole class teaching input about 10/15 mins - then 1 Adult Directed group (x6)with me or T.A and 1 Adult Directed Group of 1:1(x5) children who need extra help (say letter formation) with me or T.A. So after the input 7 children are working with an adult and 23 are in CP. The children in CP are usually very busy but never seem to do the activity I have set out. When the A.D work is finished both adults are then free to modle play/observe.
    How do others structure their A.D work?? I tried 1 adult always being free but then hardly any A.D work was being done. On the other hand when both adults are doing A.D at same time - I feel CI play is poor!!!
    Ideas very welcome xx

3. It can be very difficult!
    My morning structure is
    15 min whole group (reception and nursery)
    1 hour 45 mins CIP with 1 ADA and rolling snack (reception and nursery)
    15 min Phase 2 and 3 phonics (reception) and ICT/Water/playdough (nursery)
    15 min story (reception) and 15 min phase 1 phonics (nursery)
    15 min numeracy input (reception only)
    The afternoons depend on how many nursery children I have left and whether they have French, PE or I have PPA!
    We just walk around with cameras and post its attached to us. There is only 2 of us so it can get difficulut if we have 'accidents' and when we need to change some children!
    If they don't engage with what you want them to try modelling it by just playing with it you'll be surprised how many will want to join in and it can be ADA for a little while until children understand what to do or take it off in a more interesting direction!
    Hope this helps but everyone's different!