1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Structure of a Maths Lesson...

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by SimonPRobson, Oct 16, 2017.

1. SimonPRobson

SimonPRobson New commenter

Hi

I'm looking for some new ideas on changing the structure of my lessons. I'm interested in finding out what other maths teachers use as their 'stock' lesson. Anyone like to share? Mine tends to be: Starter, Learning Objectives, explainy bit, paired activity, individual activity, review. I'd like to try something else though. Anyone got anything a little different?

Cheers

Simon

2. dkjones

dkjones New commenter

3. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

Arora and Rogerson (1991) Future trends in mathematical modelling and applications. In Niss, Blum and Huntley (Eds) Teaching of mathematical modelling applications (pp.111 - 120)

a good article and some modern history of maths teaching - a call to teach maths as problem solving from the getgo

4. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

5. DleP

DleP New commenter

At the moment my basic lesson goes like this: Do Now task (something they can do without guidance while I take the register, organise resources etc), admin (setting homework, marking homework, anything else that needs doing), introducing a new concept, modelling a process, questioning with mini whiteboards until I'm confident they've grasped it, independent work, self-assessing of independent work. Obviously this is very flexible and varies hugely from topic to topic and depending on how quickly the class picks up the ideas - sometimes I'll spend a whole lesson on mini whiteboards, then have them do independent practice the following lesson. I generally do my plenary in the middle of the lesson now rather than at the end. And it's all always evolving.