1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

structure in reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by miss_robyn, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I'm just looking for a bit of advise from more experieced people! I have been an early years teacher for a few years and have worked by having free flow/enhancing areas alongside teacher led activties. However this year my children are so difficult in terms of making good choices, behaviour and doing purposeful activities. I am therefore wondering if a bit more structure may help e.g putting children into groups and giving them less choices? Any help would be grately appreciated!

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

If you observe the dynamics of the group you might be able to find out who is causing the disruption. It might only be one or two children winding up everyone else.
    I have this situation at the moment and we have been working with the main culprit in a small group with a TA and in our school Nurture group actually teaching him how to play with other children. It has also been necessary to separate him from one other child in particular.
    We have been making slow progress (although a week off might have set us back) but it's not easy.

3. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

Try this game if your have enough space or can use the hall.
    Sit in a circle, ask them to think of an action that everyone can copy. No standing up. Anthing else is OK. All have to copy. When they think they are finished they fold their arms and everyone else does too.
    You will soon see who is socially dominant, who breaks the rules, who enjoys leading, who cannot take turns etc. It is very very revealing. It gives shy children an opportunity to lead etc.
    A movement game from Jabadao.

4. The trouble is there are about 12 children who can be very hard work!

5. I can't understand why it is not good foundation stage practice to put children into groups to work with them.
    Freeflow can often mean aimless semi-chaos. I think children deserve better than that with some freeflow and some organised group and whole class activities with lots of input from the adults.
    It doesn't have to be, nor I suggest should it be, one or the other.

6. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Is it just another of those Foundation Stage myths, or does it say so in some government guidance somewhere?
    I find that the younger the age range, the greater the number of myths seem to abound about how it should be done ........ apart from following the GCSE syllabus teachers of 14-16 year olds seem to be fairly unmyth-ridden, but get down to pre-school workers and you have ones who have been told that you cannot read a story to a group of children as this is not child-initiated. It's all very confusing.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Whoops. I think I made that mistake because I was so taken aback by the assertion that some EYs orkers...blah.
    Where is your evidence for that, mystery10?

9. Early years advisors from the LEA who have pushed over the last few years for everything to be child initiated...It's given a strange message to some. Child initiated learning has a massive place in early years, but there are some things that children need to experience that they may not initiate for themselves. A balance of child initiated learning and class/group times works for me.

10. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Only to the faux naive.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Not convinced. Even the most zealous proponents of CI learning see the value of story sessions, in my experience which, no offence, is an infinite [couldn't think od a number] more than mystery10's.

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

That was pretty incoherent because of that horrible comma between sessions and my.
    sorry

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

Still incoherent.
    is infinitely more extensive than...

14. Inky, it's Friday night - anything goes.

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

Oh thumbie, you'[​IMG]ve saved my life.

16. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Does no one ever question the messages ?
    Challenge what is clearly stupid!
    EYFS states a <u>balance </u> between CI & AI point it out to them and say sweetly "I must be confused you can't be telling me that I shouldn't follow EYFS ...YOU'RE NOT ... ARE YOU?"

17. I got the impression that this was said with a hint of sarcasm?! As an aside, I've also read on here that some teachers are only allowed to choose 5 story-books per half-term, and every time they read a story, it must be one of those. I personally work my children in groups with some free-choice each day - it works for me, and they're making great progress!

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

Well, morre fool them. Nobody who thinks that childrenshouldn't listen to a story because it's not CI should be let anyhere near little children.
    However, let's remember that this is a Daily Mail type assertion. It's not a fact.

Mystery10, are you going to defend this nonsense?

19. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry, Msz. I wan't quoting you - more a case of inept posting on my part.

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

That's also how I work and it's the norm in my LA. I think it's one of those myths like 'you're not allowed to sing Baa Baa Black sheep anymore' that the Daily Mail and Express love. A non-teaching friend of mine was convinced we were no longer "allowed" to do Nativity Plays any more because she'd read it in the paper.