1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strong teacher with no job. Which way now?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by izzynicole, Jul 7, 2017.

1. izzynicole

izzynicole New commenter

i am about to finish my second year of teaching. I always get strong observation feedback and I have worked with many SEN pupils and classes with behaviour issues.

I decided to hand in my notice to move back to my home town, Brighton. I have had 3 interviews and been told I have been very strong and I would be snapped up in no time. I have had feedback saying I couldn't have done anything better! However, each time they have picked someone who has just a bit more experience than me.

Anyway now I am left with no job. There are no more adverts for Brighton or around there. I'm looking into supply work but have heard mixed reviews. I am completely lost and feel completely worthless and am angry at the world! What happens now? Supply? Tutoring? I wouldn't mind supply but I don't drive so this would hold me back. Any other way to get full time teaching job? I feel lost already and it's not even summer yet. ☹️

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi izzy

I don't know much about Brighton. How many schools are there? Do you teach secondary or primary. If you are near to a reasonable number of schools, public transport won't be a barrier to supply. In time you might even be able to learn to drive if you want to.

You have to take what you have and make the most of it. You are not worthless and being angry with the world isn't going to change it. Three interviews isn't very many and you may have to go on a few more.

You don't have to wait until a school advertises in order to apply. Sometimes if you write a speculative letter and send a CV it will land on someone's desk who may need you. So, that is one thing you can do.

Going back to supply. If you decide that is what you need to do, then start looking for some agencies in Brighton to join over the summer. If you go over on to the supply forum and post there asking for decent agencies in Brighton, people may see it and respond by private messaging as we are not allowed to state names of individuals or companies. If you do supply work you will have a chance to work at a variety of schools and see which ones suit you. I

Supply has a lot of disadvantages, but at least if you do that you will have some money coming in until you find something more secure.

At the top of the supply board there is a thread for those new to supply which you might like to read.

If you have strong behaviour management which it sounds like you do, you can get many repeat bookings since many of the schools that use a lot of supply are the ones with challenging classes and you sound ideal.

3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Agree totally with @pepper5 but would like to add that a route into teaching is via supply where you impress over a day/week/month and the school is happy enough to keep you on long-term.

Of course, it depends on how much of a shortage subject you teach and I've no knowledge of Brighton anyway.

Strangely enough I'm not sure if I want a long-term/permanent post but due to the shortage of maths in West yorkshire I've landed a long-term to permanent gig without even trying (number one in a field of one).

pepper5 likes this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It must be frustrating, but it's not hopeless.
    That bit of South Coast is densely populated, and some teacher somewhere is going to leave, and give their former management a recruitment problem.
    You will probably have to consider a short term contract or two for a while. You have nothing to lose by sending your CV to likely looking schools. Do accept that if you do this, an interested school may want an application form as well.

grumpydogwoman and pepper5 like this.
  5. daisy1603

daisy1603 Occasional commenter

I am in exactly the same situation in Cumbria having just moved back to the area. Unfortunately it's dead man's shoes up here for teaching jobs, especially in my subject. Most of the teachers are still there from when I was at school. I desperately want to avoid supply but I feel I may have no other options :(

6. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Stay positive! I hope something turns up soon. X

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Handing in your notice before finding a new post was always going to be a risk, no point being angry with the world though I understand the frustration. Going about things that way isn't something I would recommend to anyone, even with the supposed shortage of applicants for posts. (I've done it a couple of times, but still wouldn't recommend it.)

Supply is your only option for September, unless there are any last minute adverts. Get signing up with agencies as soon as you can. You might get a long term supply post that way, which can lead to a permanent post.

There might be a rocky few months ahead, but you'll be ok in the end.

8. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

Our school gets many of it's new teachers from supply...a sort of try before you buy scheme. And they look to agencies for long term supply, too.

grumpydogwoman and pepper5 like this.
  9. Talc_1234

Talc_1234 New commenter

I did my pgce at Brighton. The two schools I trained in (1 primary + a popular secondary) the staff turnover was very low with many teachers staying decades. Even with shortage subjects there were very many applicants for every post.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Spend a day in the early holidays making sure your chosen agencies have all the paperwork they need to swing into action in September. This red tape is a nuisance but at least when it's done there's little effort to maintain that chore.

11. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Why?

With only two years' experience most applicants will have more experience than you. To build your career you need to gain a new post before you hand in your notice and stay long enough in each post to give something to the pupils and the school and achieve new goals for yourself.

drvs likes this.
  12. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

Try schools around London Bridge where the fast trains arrive from Brighton.

13. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

Slightly harsh, it is not as though the original poster is flitting from jobs to jobs.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

OK, but I don't think it isn't very wise to hand your notice in before securing another post.

15. September

September New commenter

Great Idea Tinycat
    Or schools around Victoria.

pepper5 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  16. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Not harsh IMO, just realistic. It's a no brainer that risk of unemployment is involved in resigning without having a post to go to. It's also true that 2 years' experience is just about enough to embed the basics of core practice, but isn't long enough to have seen anything through or developed as a practitioner.

That said, these days, 2 years' experience means that you're quite likely to be at least 40% of the way through your career and are therefore a senior teacher! No workforce problems here.

17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I just Googled 'teaching job Brighton' and there were loads! Through agencies. But you go and get your feet under the table and prove your worth.

Loads of jobs!

pepper5 likes this.
  18. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Check dates on those. You could google the same for where I live, but many of the adverts are way out of date (to the point of years in some cases!). Looking on the LA site and there are actually about 5 primary jobs, three of which would need you to drive or live in that village.

Agencies probably are recruiting for schools in my LA, but almost certainly for schools which no-one applied for because they are appalling places to work.

ViolaClef likes this.
  19. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Get a bike or a moped. You could get a serviceable bike from a recycling shop attached to the local tip or someone might have an unused bike in their garage they might give you - ask around.

20. drnickaus

drnickaus New commenter

In the mean time I would suggest just perfecting your skills in a professional sense, figure out how to sell yourself and your skills in this job market. 2/3rds of jobs by 2030 will be soft skill intensive. So figure out what you can offer a school/college in not only your teaching props but also your core professional skills.
    Luckily I teach a free online course on this very topic hehe.

pepper5 likes this.