1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

strong strong visual memory but...

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by vivovivo, Jan 15, 2012.

1. ...as a teacher, I keep forgetting my students names, but never faces. I feel like a disabled person and even feel ashamed forgetting their names. My students know it and they can laugh about it, but.
    Who recognizes this? And how do you cope with it? In all my previous schools I could easily compensate this 'disability' by having their names and photo's at hand. But my new school doesn't provide such a lists.

It looks so careless, especially during a parent meeting.
    The first parent meeting at my new school was after six weeks so I was able to get away with it, because it is understandable not to know all your students names seeing them only twice a month. But with the second meeting coming, I now find myself cutting yearbook classphoto's and gluing them in my notebook, hours and hours work, as to have a proper parents meeting! It is horrible but it is like this!

Strangly enough, I do know all their faces and even the art works they made, as a clear picture in my mind.

Anyone out here recognizes this. And if so, what are your strategies?

2. artcrisis

artcrisis New commenter

Photograph them holding their work and name label. Print off as thumbnails. Take with you to parent meeting and stick in your notebook. Get them to personalise a sketchbook using their names to create a memorable image or do a quick project, such as design a graffiti tag, which uses their names.

3. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

A seating plan provides me with a prompt as I can visualise where they sit in the room.