1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

stroke at age 33

Discussion in 'Personal' started by foxfam, May 1, 2011.

1. Hi everyone, I need any help anyone can give me. My son who is a primary school teacher had a massive stroke before christmas out of the blue and has been in hospital for five months. He has no use in his right arm at all, a little use of his right leg and has severe aphasia. Their prognosis is that he probably will never teach again. He obviously cannot post himself so I am trying to get any info. i can on retiring at his age, pension , etc. would appreciate any help or support you can give me. thank you.
    He was sent home from work on the assumption he had a migraine which he had never suffered from and then collapsed at home.

chris.

2. What a terrible thing to happen. Have you spoken with the Stoke Association? They are extremely helpful.

3. I cannot advise you on the specifics.
    But as many in my family suffered from strokes, at younger years than me at 42, I have run for charity for many years.
    My joints hate it, but if you have a specific charity, let me know. I will wear your shirt.

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

So sorry to hear this foxfam.
    I would contact his union and also his headteacher. Ask if a meeting can be arranged with occupational health. It's very early days yet. Your son is entitled to 6 months on full pat and 6 on half. So there's no rush. In 6 months time you will have more of an idea of your sin's recovery.
    If things look promising it may be possible to keep his position open until he is able to return ( after 1 year it would be unpaid) he might be able to return part time, the school will have a duty to make reasonable adjustments.
    Don't presume that he won't regain some of the things he's lost. Every stroke is different. I've known people who have been told they'll never walk/ talk/ work again and they have. My own father regained some movement over 2 years after a massive stroke which we were told would almost certainly kill him. Fight for as much physio and speech therapy as you can get.

speak to citizens advice too, they will help you with benefits claims and let you know what you're entitled to.

My best wishes to you and your son for a good recovery. It's a long road but don't ever lose hope. Let us know how you get on.

5. So sorry to hear about your son. I hope he makes a good recovery. Social services are good for practical help e.g putting in a wet room etc.

6. Thanks for all your help and encouragement. I will get in touch with his union and see what they can do to help. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Chris.