1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Striking

Discussion in 'Primary' started by giraffe77, Nov 17, 2011.

1. My children would have to stay at home; they're not allowed in at all. I just don't want to ruin relationships I have with my parents - its not their fault! :-(

2. thats fine but when it comes time to get your pension and enjoy your working rights please remember to say thank you to the teachers who did strike

3. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

I wonder if those parents will give a damn about you, as you hobble into school in your old age or struggle to afford your heating bill aged 70.......???

4. AaronLaws

AaronLaws New commenter

As teachers we are always required to put the needs of others, whether it be children, parents, goveners etc etc ahead of our own needs. On strike days we are able to put aside the needs of others to focus on what is really important - you!
    I see where you are coming from, but one day of no school isn't going to make a whole lot of difference to the children, and if you kids parents can't understand you wanting to stand up for your own future then they are the parents whose opinions aren't worth listening to! Whether you strike or not, your school should support you in your decision, regardless of who else strikes.

5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Yes, that's the whole point.

6. Like I've said elsewhere, sorry for being really silly and naive about this!
    So... Your TU says: 'Strike'. But not everyone in that TU will? How do you decide? And NUT are striking on 30th Nov, right? Is that the only union doing so?
    For some reason I feel a bit weird about asking colleagues which TU they're in and what they're going to do. These are okay things to ask, though, I'm guessing. Not the same as, 'Who do you vote for?' or 'How much do you earn?'
    Although one of my colleagues told me what one of my other colleagues earns today. Which was weird.

7. You don't have to say whether you're striking or not, and if my Head was trying pressure tactics to try and get me into school on the 30th, I'd be tempted to just not say either way and then not turn up.
    I couldn't care less what the parents of the children think, or whether they know I am striking. I know damned well they couldn't care less about me or my welfare, so I need to take care of myself, my family and my colleagues - the people who do care about me!
    At my school, it is likely that enough of us will be striking that the Head will close the whole school as we did last time - my daughter's school is also closing. It just isn't practical to open for some classes and not others, and many parents will still have to make arrangements for one child at home, and nother in school - even worse I think!

8. ilovesooty

Don't you read/listen to the news?

9. No, not at the moment, since you ask. Kindly dismount that high horse. [​IMG]

10. ilovesooty

Well, since recent events seem to have passed you by [​IMG] I'll answer your question.
    The main HTs union has voted to strike. The ATL will be striking again. The NASUWT voted yes, as did UNISON and, as of yesterday, UNITE. That means in many cases no caretaker at school and support staff on strike.

11. Not necessarily, most of the teaching staff in my school are NUT and I know of several who are not striking, and the caretaker is coming in.

12. I had a parents at Parents' Eve mention the Headteachers' vote the other day. Obviously a very educated, professional person he said that 'of course' all the teachers will still be in won't they? You can still come in if the Head is striking. I was amazed to have to inform him the extent of this action - that all the major teaching unions are out, and that many, many other public sector workers will also be striking that day - he seemed genuinely surprised! I don't know how some people are not aware of what is likely to be the biggest day of coordinated industrial action since the 1920s.

13. I think I know you!
    THANKS.

14. Do you mean me? If so - eek!

15. LOL. Nooo the person who was talking about watching/reading news.
    But the thanks for you, also

16. LOL!

17. Right, I've decided, I'm striking!