1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Striking question

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by d1sxeyes, Jun 15, 2011.

1. I graduate from University on Friday, and have been fortunate enough to get a job starting Monday. My question is the following:

I am a member of the NUT, ATL, who have both voted to strike June 30th.
    I am also a member of the NASUWT, who have NOT voted to strike.

I'm FOR the strike in principle, but equally, feel that rocking the boat on my second week at work might be ill-advised in terms of my career prospects.

What are your opinions? Should I work, or should I strike?

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Firstly:

- Will you be working as a teacher from day 1? (Occasionally schools employ new teachers over that first summer on a different basis - and if your job is not "teacher" you won't be in the TPS. Only those in the TPS are eligible to strike.)
    - Do you know what the union membership in the school is? Find out when you arrive - if it's 90% NUT/ATL, you'll hardly be rocking the boat by striking. It might not even be open.

3. coppull

coppull New commenter

Yes it is a good idea to find out the Union membership in your new school and then you can make a decision ,which one to join.