1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Striking question

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cinnamonsquare, May 22, 2011.

1. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

During our parents' meeting for our Y6 residential trip, one of the parents asked our HT what would happen if there was a strike during the week of the trip.

HT answered that no staff going on the trip would strike during this week, even if there was a union strike going on.

Now, if that were the case, I most likely would not join the strike, as it would disrupt a trip that the children are looking forward to and for which a lot of money has already been paid - but surely that is my decision and if I wanted to join the strike I would be well within my rights to do so? Was it a little presumptuous of him to answer for me? Or can he overrule in situations like that? Just curious!

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Does he not mean he'll just send staff from a different union (or the ones who aren't prepared to strike)?

3. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

He might have done I suppose, but didn't make this clear. And knowing him as I do, probably not. We've already had some trouble staffing the trip as it is, so anyone striking would not be easily replaced.

4. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Surely he doesn't seriously expect members of unions who have voted for strike action to act as scabs?

5. ilovesooty

I think if your union has voted for strike action it's more than a right: it's a moral obligation.

6. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

he wasn't in a position to answer for his staff in that way. their decision, whether he likes it or not!

7. emilystrange

he wasn't in a position to give that answer on behalf of his staff.

8. emilystrange

he wasn't in a position to give that answer on behalf of his staff.

9. emilystrange

aaggg. sorry. blumming tes.

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

As far as I can remember it's down to you to decide whether or not you withdraw your own labour, regardless of the outcome of your Union's ballot. It isn't the 1970s any more. However, the big no no is covering for someone from the same Union who's chosen to strike.

11. magic surf bus

Sorry, should have made that clearer - 'regardless of your Union's decision to strike' is more accurate.

12. ilovesooty

To me the 1970s have little to do with it: it's a moral question.

Agreed.

13. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Off topic, but expanding the conversation...

The one thing that annoyed me most last time we were striking, was a colleague who voted to strike, then refused.
    If you are not going to strike, you MUST vote no. It's just not fair otherwise.

14. magic surf bus

I agree - I was merely stating how it was, not how I think it should be. As an ex-Union rep now on supply I would probably ring the agency and make myself unavailable for work on any day my Union voted for a strike, to avoid any moral dilemmas.

Not that my Union have offered much support for supply staff in the face of falling incomes, poorer working conditions, and diminishing work opportunities, but for some reason I still feel like I ought to support them.

15. seakay

seakay New commenter

IIRC the last time there was a strike, Unioins said/advised that if the date fell on a residential trip then it was okay for teachers to carry on working.

16. Just what I was going to say

I am completely with the principle that you support a union by taking action if it is voted for and decided but there are always exceptions to this and residential trips would be one of them

17. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

What worries me with this striking thing is losing pay. I am on such a tight budget that I can't afford to lose a days pay but I was told that if my union strike I have to or I have to leave the union. Prior to that people had suggested that if my union went on strike I would still get paid if I had voted no for it but apparently I either lose representation or lose the money to eat that month. Hardly seems fair. I can't even afford to pay into the pension in the first place!

18. I thought the whole reason for striking is that it disrupts the normal running of the school/business. If you agree with the strike then you should not work and cause disruption to whatever is going on that day. If you are not striking then you carry on as normal. If there are not enough teachers, not striking, to staff the trip, then it is part of the disruption caused that day and the point is made to everyone, parents, MPs and the general public. Or it's pointless doing the strike.
    What is one trip compared to the knock on effect of what is going to happen to teachers lifetime of earnings and ultimate retirement. This attitude just says that a school trip is more important than the whole pension dispute.

19. ilovesooty

Exactly. Not much point in striking otherwise.

20. seakay

seakay New commenter

I think the key part of your post is " I thought the whole reason for striking is that it disrupts the normal running of the school/business". A residential isn't the normal running, is planned possibly a year in advance and refusing to take part does more than disrupt as there is a financial implication for not only the school but parents as well. To suggest otherwise isn't on IMO.