1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Striking query

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by craftyangel, Nov 25, 2011.

1. I am striking on Wednesday as are others at my school and as a reult, the school is closing.
    Now, after school on Wednesday the plan was for the staff to stay to put up Christmas displays of our whole school topic, A Christmas Carol. I really want to be there to help put up our year 5 display. Is there a rule when I can go into school if I am striking, is it say after 3:15 when the bell goes or am I not allowed at all?
    Before I get people too irate, I know, I know, if I'm choosing to strike I can't just go in for the bits that I want but I was just wondering if there is a union rule about this or if depends on the school? When does a strike officially end?
    You may have guessed I have never struck before. Striked? Been on strike? Struck?
    I digress.
    Ta all!

2. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I dunno.....you're not being paid, if you want to go in after the kids have gone home, unpaid, I guess that's your choice.....can you not do it on Thursday? Personally I'd be rejoicing at the chance to avoid putting up a display!

3. It would be outside your working hours and not part of your contract, just something you have chosen to do, so I'd have thought it is okay. But I would check with your union.