1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

striking in an independent school

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FleurR, Nov 27, 2011.

1. FleurR

FleurR New commenter

Hi

Need some advice from colleagues, especially those in the independent sector. Are you striking Wednesday? I feel I want to, but may be one of only 3 (or even the only one) from my school striking. Will it be effective? Is it worth it? I will lose 1/185 of my pay as my school is following IAPS advice. Not sure why it is not 1/365? If I strike, will it help, or only hurt my pupils and make me look bad to SMT?

Advice please!!!!!!!

2. Regarding your pay, we lost 1/365 when we were on strike last time - I'm at an independent school. Your union rep needs to ask your HT to explain this properly.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'm in an indie. I'm not striking. No-one is. TBH it wouldn't make a jot of difference to anyone if we did................it's just a different kind of school.

4. If you wanted to support the stike, but felt it inappropriate at your school, then maybe you could look into making a donation to a fund with the money you will be earning that day. I am not keen to loose a day's pay when I strike, but I can afford it. There are younger teachers out there who are really going to feel the pinch. I think the NUT has a hardship fund- but I heard about this 20 years or so ago, and I am not sure it's still in operation.

5. thingwall

thingwall New commenter

Do you lot ever talk about the suggestion that private school staff shouldn't be in receipt of a public service pension?

6. v12

v12

Why shouldn't we? We do the public a great service.

7. If you feel you want to strike, then you have no objection to striking in principle. So why not join a union?

8. I think the reason you would lose 1/185 annual pay is that you must have 185 working days (state schools 195), so you earn holiday pay on the basis of 185 days worked. The deduction of 1/185 is losing a days' pay plus the pro rata holiday pay earned on that day.

I think you'd be best covered to join a union, if not in a union on Wednesday, I think you should make yourself available for work, and it may be the HT tells you to stay at home.

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

True. But I don't pay into the Teacher's Pension Scheme. I've made alternative arrangements.

10. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

In a state school you won't lose 1/195 you will lose 1/365 so the discrepancy can't be due to the number of days actually worked. I would check with the union.

11. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

That's true. It's ironic that school teachers with "long holidays" get deducted 1/365 and the rest of the public sector 1/260.

12. There are probably alternative and legal ways of deciding this. teachers losing 1/365 of a year's pay is just a more generous decision. LEA employed supply teachers on "day rate" will be losing 1/195 annual salary, either because they are also on strike or because the schools will be closed.