1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Striking as a supply teacher.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by anon3150, Nov 7, 2011.

1. The NASUWT have just sent me my ballot paper for strike action.
    As a supply teacher, if I do strike, do I just make myself unavailable for work that day?
    Do I tell them the truth about why I'm not available?
    Is making myself unavailable a big risk?
    Can I afford to pay for Christmas if I go on strike?
    So many questions. I want to join with my union, I agree with what they're saying and they've been good to me in the past. What to do?

2. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

NUT did not ballot supply teachers

3. ..but still the schools were shut and we got no work....

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If the ballot is in favour of strike action I'll just tell the agency I'm unavailable on that day. I don't want to find myself being called in by a school to undermine another member's strike action, directly or indirectly.

If I've been booked in advance I'll just have to tell the school I'll be out like the other NASUWT members.

And yes, I know the NASUWT have done b*gger all for supply staff so far, but maybe that's another battle for the future.

5. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

The NASUWT emailed me to ask if I was still a supply teacher. In the email they said that supply teachers were not going to be balloted. I never got round to replying to the email so they have sent me the ballot paper but I'm not going to vote.
    I will work on that day to cover for courses, sickness etc but I will not cover for any teacher taking strike action.

6. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

If you agree with your union and believe that they have played fair with you then the only honorable choice is to stand by them and support their action.
    If on the other hand you believe that the unions should accept the pension offer or that your union fails to protect your rights as a supply teachers then reject the union's request.
    You probably wont get the choice anywhy since most schools will be closed.

7. Fair enough.
    I'll probably just make myself unavailable that day.
    NASUWT were really great when my NQT year was going horribly, although it seemed that when it came to negotiating a reference they didn't hold muchpower to actually do anything except advice. (Not their fault I imagine).
    I'm not sure how effective strike action is but I think it's probably better than doing nothing.

8. As if the unions support supply teachers?
    They all sold out!
    All are just a bunch of corrupt, malign self-serving, treacherous bovine scat spouters.
    I wrote a long letter to my local NUT rep about the plight, exploitation and enforced redundancy of well qualifiedsupply teachers on several occasions. NOT ONCE DID I GET A REPLY!

Hence you work when you want to!!!

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If you're in school and available you could be indirectly covering for a striking teacher by enabling the school to deploy its Cover Supervisors in the place of striking staff, or maybe by combining groups and putting them in the hall with someone. This is why I won't work on 30 Nov if strike action is called for.

10. Geoteach0027

Geoteach0027 New commenter

I recieved a ballot from NASWUT. I havent had any teaching work from agencies since completing PGCE in July. So I'm guessing I've slipped through!