1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Striking and part-timers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Nov 22, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

This is just something that has occured to me.
    As the strike date is announced before the ballot, any part-time staff who do not normally work on the strike day can vote in favour and not lose a day's pay.
    Is that fair?
    These people cannot strike even if they wanted to, so should they have a vote which might force people who don't want to strike into having to strike?
    I'm just curious.

2. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

Isn't the ballot for a willngness to take strike action The day is not mentioned. The vote enables the union to call strikes on one or many days or for many continuous days.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'm NASUWT and I knew what day the strike would be before ballot papers came out (even thought I didn't get one)

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

But It's also for continuing action - Nov 30th may only be the start.
    (eg NUT weren't balloted for Nov 30th because its a continuation of the action started in June)

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Fair on who?
    If life were "fair" we wouldn't need strikes...

6. kareneliot

Thast was the belief. The question was "Are you prepared to take strike action". It doesn't say when or how many days. The union is mandated to call strikes as it sees fit.

7. I'm in NASUWT and the letter (following the ballot) says 'one day of discontinuous strike action' and names the 30th. I assume by 'discontinuous' it means that it will only be one day and that they will have to ballot again for further days. Or am I wrong?

8. kareneliot

I think the ballot allows strikes to be called for several months. In reality there needs to be some appreciation of members willingness to suport further strikes,
    The letter was a notice of a particular action.

9. Being NUT, I'm not sure on the specifics of the NASUWT ballot; however, if the ballot question included the date for industrial action, it would only be valid for the day in question but if the question does not involve the date, it's open ended. The NUT voted for discontinuous action so that a day can be called here and a day there to cause inconvenience and to maximise the publicity for the case - i.e. our pensions - without having to ballot for every single day of action. If a part-timer can't strike because they are not in work that day, they should think carefully about donating a day's pay to their Union's hardship fund in this instance. Of course, a future day of action may well be called when they are at work.