1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strike

Discussion in 'Primary' started by impulce, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Of course you can mark, you're not striking so you are supposed to carry on your duties in as normal a manner as possible. But no, do not do anything that the striking teachers would do or cover for them.
    Our caretaker is striking so we are not in school but do need to "sign in" with the office manager outside school in the morning, then have been told to go home and carry on duties for work. For me this will be marking!

2. what you should do is sit down and seriously consider why you are not striking and supporting not only your future, but the future of your fellow public sector workers.I'm not being nasty, just honest.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It is my PPA time as well and I will use it as normal for PPA related tasks. You cannot be directed to do anything specific in your PPA time ever, so that will include tomorrow.

As for the rest of the day, it is directed time and so you can be directed to do anything the HT deems reasonable. I would not think that doing work for those not in school is in anyway reasonable. It is their choice to strike and so their choice not to work for a day. You should not have to do additional tasks to compensate them. General tasks for the 'good of the school' could well be deemed reasonable though.

4. And inappropriate. The OP was not asking for advice or opinions on whether or not to strike. It's personal opinion and depends heavily on individuals circumstances, and it's driving me crackers seeing people trying to bully others into striking when they have made the decision not to.
    For some of us, losing £80 is the difference between eating or not eating. Just think about people who maybe dont have the luxury of losing that money. I know that the effects on our pensions will be huge, and I wish I was in a position to strike as I heavily oppose the changes and support those doing so, but unfortunately I financially cannot. Perhaps others are the same.
    Or, perhaps others have a different opinion. Either way it is for nobody else to decide or try to nag.

5. Oh do bore off with the same old arguments the goverment take great pleasure in us 'plebs' using against each other! My partner has v.little money. we are skint. But i have the sense to see that iif we don't strike things could be much worse. if people don't want others to judge, dont post on here!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Some people choose not to strike because they are totally opposed to strike action in every possible way.

This does not mean they don't have any sense, nor does it mean that people should be rude or dismissive of their views just because their own are different.

Your post suggests that people should only post if they support strike action and not if they don't. This is totally unacceptable, as mutual respect should allow everyone to post, without fear of rude or insulting responses, whatever their choice tomorrow.

7. In what way have I been rude? No just honest. No one wants to strike. Do I take pleasure in losing pay? No. Do I want to miss a day's teaching? No. But the goverment has left us with very little choice. All I am being is honest. They are relying on people who will not strike. They will get their way. Would they do so if every single person in the public sector chose to strike? Possibly not. Unfortunately we do not support each other anymore. If we did, if people would provide for each other, pay for those who struggled financially etc then perhaps opinions on here would be different.

8. Typical, patronising comment. Have you not considered that the OP has already done this and has maybe come to the conclusion that: A) You do not strike while negotiations are ongoing. B) Teachers pensions are unfair on taxpayers and future generations. C) The Government MUST remain committed to eliminating the structural deficit or face the consequences of losing the confidence of the markets. D) Considering all of the above, we have a freedom to stand up for what we believe to be right and should not accept naive bullyboy tactics by the likes of you - why aren't you standing up for the people who are choosing to take the unselfish, realistic view that in unprecedented challenges we should all play our part, no matter how much the sacrifice, and accept that the frivolous spending of the past is unsustainable and downright dangerous?

9. Get out of Cuckoo Land starlight. A significant contributing factor to the current financial situation is that we support unproductive people too much. The welfare state has gone from being a safety net to a way of life. We have all seen the parents who have never worked a day in their life driving round in new cars, having foreign holidays and the latest I-phone. I, as an experienced, long serving teacher cannot afford this so why should these people? I am prepared to do my bit and accept a more sustainable pension settlement. We should also ensure that if people are unprepared to pay their way then they should receive the bare minimum not expect a luxurious taxpayer funded lifestyle.

10. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

I know a lot of people are in this position. However are you aware that if the changes go through as proposed you will be losing this amount or more every month for the rest of your teaching career?
    In the middle of a pay freeze and a further pay cap to follow this is a bitter pill to swallow. I think this is probably the part of the changes which has been discussed the least but that has the most immediate effect on teachers and their families, particuarly if both parents are teachers - they are then looking at a reduced income of around £200 a month!
    I would be happy to work a little longer and recieve a little less (although an increase of 8 years is hardly a little) if this was truly neccessary.

11. So you're happy with your 1% payrise while the Labour implemented benefit scrounging underclass are due to get a 5% boost to their benefits?

12. Im not going to argue about whether or not the strike is right. All I am saying is it is for nobody to try and belittle others because of their decision, and your posts have been somewhat aggressive.
    Your skint partner (Or friend, I cant remember who you said it was) is obviously not skint enough for the days missed pay to affect his/her lifestyle too much. For some people it is the difference between eating for a fortnight, or heating their house. For some people it is NOT an option.

13. Who would be happy with that?!? Obviously we'd all like it to be different, with a more generous pay rise and sustained pension rights but there is no money to go around.
    What if the strikes had absolutely no effect on the pensions but caused a few students to slip under their target grades, or a few to lose a mark or two on their SATs? Who has 'won' then? The argument works both ways. I think the point being made is we are free to make our own decisions and not be chastised by others. Otherwise we are no better than the bullies we have to deal with in the classroom.

14. ]
    haha you really have not lived if you think that is bullying. IT IS honesty! DEAL WITH IT!
    The only naive comments are those made by yourself.

15. [
    Bit of a generalised statement. Yes he has made sacrifices. Shall I bore you with that they are?
    I have not bullied anybody thanks. If you think this is bullying, why not report to TES?

16. I think you may need to take you own advice :)

17. You remind me somewhat of a hormonal teenager. Calm down! I simply didn't like the way you invaded another thread to try and force somebody to feel bad about their decision. It wasn't necessary.
    I dont need to know the ins and outs of your partners financial situation, I was simply saying that somebody living in financial difficulty may find it very very tough or impossible to lose the days pay at the moment. Your partner obviously found money elsewhere to tide him over allowing him to do this, and thats entirely his decision.

18. k_e

k_e

Yes we have different views but I do not know anyone who is striking or not who can AFFORD to loose a days pay. It depends if you are a person who looks at long term goals for teachers now and in the future or a person who lives in the here and now.
    If you don't take action don't complain in the future that you have no money and you're working till you die! [​IMG]

19. Haha, why? because I defend my points?
    I know you don't.
    I am entitled to respond to posts/points made.

20. agreed :)