1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strike...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by magic surf bus, Nov 23, 2011.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm intrigued that NASUWT seem to think that teachers can refuse to cover for absence. The STPCD 2011 says "..teachers may cover only rarely, in circumstances which are not foreseeable", meaning they're contractually bound to cover (albeit rarely) for unforeseeable absence. Fair enough, we may see unions interpreting 'foreseeable' more tightly, but the notion that anyone can refuse to cover isn't strictly accurate.

As we (Supply Teachers) are employed to wholly or mainly provide cover, I assume we're still working 'to rule' if we cover because that's our job.

I still don't plan to be available for work on 30 Nov though.

2. Thanks for all the replies, I do want to support the strike but don't want to jeopardise future work by refusing to work... Have bee treat well by the agency so far and have had loads of work... I might just ask the agency for advice...

3. I will not be available for work on strike day. As I would not want to rock my own boat.
    Me I could not give a jot for the public sector jobsworths.
    Being supply I don't work for the public sector anyway.
    The teaching public sector workers did not care one jot as we supply were screwed.
    I would love to work on strike day but even I am not that stupid with public sector union snitches wandering about.