1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strike

Discussion in 'Personal' started by RKM, Nov 5, 2011.

1. RKM

RKM

I got my ballot form this morning. How many will be voting for strike action??

2. RKM

RKM

I got my ballot form this morning. How many will be voting for strike action??

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Erm ... it's kinda the idea of the ballot to find out how many vote which way...!

4. RKM

RKM

Ermmm Yeah I know!!! I was just wondering what people's thoughts were!!!!

5. I returned mine and voted yes in both boxes. The way I figure it is I will lose about £100 pay for the day, but if the new pension laws come in in April 2012, then I will be paying out £100 extra EVERY month to a pension I won't get until I am 67 and I will probably be dead from overwork and stress by then, so I won't get it anyway!

6. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Voted No for both questions and will be leaving NASUWT as soon as this year's subscription expires

7. I wont be this time around. I would normally but OH has been made redundant and that £100 is the difference between us eating or not.

8. Not got my ballot slip yet- what are the questions? (Assuming one is for/against strike.)

9. Anyone else notice that the address to return it to was completely different on the form to the one on the reply envelope? How do I know if my ballot paper will get to the right place?

10. doomzebra

Are you prepared to take part in strike action in furtherance of this dispute? YES or NO

Are you prepared to take part in industrial action short of strike action in furtherance of this dispute? YES or NO

11. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

During the last forty years teacher strikes have achieved in terms of policy change naught of significance. In terms of a venting of periodic frustration and anger they have a purpose. Most teacher strikes are made ineffective by not being supported by the membership, the two main teacher unions are made less effective by their concentration on internecine membership battles rather than the cause of teachers.

In short striking will be at best gesture politics but might make you feel better.if I were not retired I would however be striking.

12. Forgive me asking stupid questions (PGCE, which makes me think I may not even get a ballot, as I CAN'T strike, even if I wanted to) but what exactly does "further industrial action short of strike action" entail?

13. doomzebra

(From the NASUWT website)
    A key part of the NASUWT strategy is action short of strike action.
    This action is designed to be pupil, parent and public friendly and is
    unlikely to cause any disruption to either pupils or their parents.

What it will do is enable teachers to work effectively and will send a
    clear message to government about the working conditions needed to
    raise standards.

Action short of strike action in the first instance will enable
    NASUWT members to secure their contractual entitlements for example
    their entitlement to guaranteed PPA time, their entitlement not to cover
    for absent colleagues, their entitlement not to be subjected to
    excessive classroom observation and monitoring. It will also relieve
    them of activities that do not require the qualifications or skills of a
    qualified teacher and which are causing excessive workload such as
    excessive lesson planning, report writing, target setting and
    assessment.

14. Clear as mud then!
    And since when did planning, report writing, target setting and assessment not need the skills of a qualified teacher?
    Am I to take it that "action short of strike" means merely delivering lessons, no work outside of directed time? Where then will the planning and marking come from? Most teachers I know need more than PPA time to do that.
    Or does it mean something else which we're not being told about?
    *Confused*

15. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

Lesson planning is part of the role, however submitting full lesson plans for each individual lesson is not.
    Again, marking is part of the job but submitting data should not and should be a specific role of non-teaching staff as it does not take a qualified teacher to be able to sit and write some numbers and letters into a box. Basically, you assess and record the marks and then submit them to someone else to input onto the system (or so my union rep tells me).

16. lesson planning when it involves a form as long as your arm for every lesson consisting of having to fill in boxes with the names of any students you consider might be "stressed",etc and how you are catering for that in your choice of which maths questions to be set, perhaps?
    Report writing when it is one page of A4 per student every 6 weeks perhaps?

terget setting and assessment when it involves cutting and pasting from one data programme and spread sheet into another, this has taken me 4 full (8 hour) days so far this year perhaps?

17. Sorry, I worded that badly...
    What crabapple99 mentions surely isn't and shouldn't be the norm- which means that it should be challenged, regardless of issues such as pensions, etc. And as such, I'm still not fully understanding how what NASUWT would regard as "non strike action" entails.
    To challenge excessive planning, etc. is surely just ensuring acceptable working standards and I can't see the impact of that is on the other issues. Or are they just focusing on that one issue? And what is the ACTION? Seems to be talking about desired outcome.
    (I rather hope it's all been cleared up by the time I'm done with my PGCE, because the whole issue confuses me rather a lot- I asked a lot of daft questions back in June too.)

18. Zoki59

Zoki59 New commenter

A lot of teachers are striking in the northwest on the 27th June. However I am on a course on this day - any advice on what I should do?

19. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Not attend the course.