1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strike over pensions

Discussion in 'Primary' started by seebee, May 2, 2011.

1. Feeling a bit ignorant here - but what are the proposed changes to our pensions? Feel this is something that is probably important and I should know about in case we are asked to strike!

2. Feeling a bit ignorant here - but what are the proposed changes to our pensions? Feel this is something that is probably important and I should know about in case we are asked to strike!

3. In a nutshell, there is a massive shortfall between the contributions to the Teachers Pension Scheme and what it pays out. This has been the case for years; the last government half-heartedly began to address this but backed down in the face of union pressure. Instead of filling the pensions hole using taxpayers' money and more borrowing, it is suggested that teachers will be asked to pay more into the scheme (potentially 3% of earnings more), possibly get less out of it and potentially work longer before getting it. Even if these changes were put in place the TPS would still be far superior to most private sector pensions out there and so the public would be unlikely to be very supportive.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you don't know enough about it and feel strongly enough to make sure you read everything your union send you, then you probably shouldn't be considering striking. Keep striking for things that you do know about and feel there is no other option.

5. We should just do what other council workers have done and just opt out! I'm sure I could put the cash to better use every month. ;)

6. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Opt out of the pension? I don't think that would be the best idea.
    Even with the changes our pension will be pretty great.

7. What I dont get, and feel incredibly dense about, is that the leaflet I got from the NUT says that currently our pension is a final salary pension paying 1/60 of final pay a year.
    I dont get it because to me that mean that If I retire on say £35k, I get 1/60th of that every year -working out at £583 a year :p
    Can anyone help me understand?
    Also, if we strike do we still get paid or do we end up having our pay docked? I know it sounds selfish, but having just bought my first home I actually care more about money currently than I do about my pension.

8. As far as I'm aware, then yes pay will be docked as you are not working. However, I know personally that a day's pay lost is far less important then my long term future.

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

If you retire on say £35k, you get 1/60th of that every year -working out at £583 a year :p multiplied by the number of youear you have worked (so if you started teaching at 22 and retire at 65)£583X43=£25069 pension
    and no you won't get paid for strike days although the union may pay strike pay which will usually be less than you actually earn

10. Ah-hah! Thankyou, it all makes sense now lol
    I do agree PFF - its just that unfortunately at the moment we are struggling to make ends meet and how much money striking would take out of my monthly salary is a serious consideration about whether I could do it or not.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It is worth it only if you have the knowledge and skills to find a better private one. If you do then go for it, if not don't.

Remember, even if your union calls a strike, you don't have to go along with it. no-one forces you to strike. Make your own decision.

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Then move...there are plenty of trained teachers looking for work!

13. manic28

manic28 New commenter

I love my job thank you

14. crysys

crysys Occasional commenter

I AM hopping mad! The worst aspect of all for me is that we are expected to work past 60 - myself and others who trained in the 70s know only too well just how burned out we teachers are by 55 let alone 60+! I don't think younger teachers are aware of just how much this profession takes out of you longterm. Unless already employed, trying to secure a new job at such an age will also prove much more problematic of course. Who will want to employ us even if we have the energy to stay in the 'game'? New teachers will find it increasingly impossible to get a job with 'old hands' holding onto their posts - unless unscrupulous heads try and get rid of them as is already happening in a friend's school. Ultimately, I think the supply teacher market will become saturated with old and tired teachers, trying to make ends meet before being able to retire. Going on the dole, for what it's worth, will never be an option if you have money saved in the bank either. As for moving into the private sector - I tried it once in my forties - even with a wealth of experience as a good teacher, without relevant qualifications and experience, a well paid job is out of the question.
    I doubt that any action undertaken by the unions or teachers will gain anything other than scorn from parents and the general public as has happened in the past. The government is already committed to making these changes. I have never seen a u-turn over money. It's probably the tip of the iceberg too. This country's continuing mismanagement will cost us all dear. Good luck to everyone!

15. Thanks for your replies guys - I DON'T read everything the union sends me because I get really fed up that every Easter they are threatening strike action over something or other. It's a bit like crying wolf -however this time I think they are right and we should be upset about this, but as other posters said most people won't be very sympathetic. Does anyone know where we can find the actual detail about what we will have to pay extra? I have my original pension details from when I started contributing so would like to compare these.

16. We had a man from the pension scheme come to my school last year and he said that if you started teaching before December 2006 then the retirement age is still 60. Has this now changed?!
    At the end of the day the unions are doing this for us so we need to support them. Otherwise why be in one? One day we may need the union's support (and im sure lots of people may already have had to ask them for support) so I feel we should all come together for the cause. Yes it annoying losing a days pay but its worth it the long run.

17. Pension loss calculator: from NUT site (quite scary)
    http://www.teachers.org.uk/node/12872

Yes, if your pension was already in force in 2006 you can, at the moment, still retire at 60.

18. You might not want to lose a day's pay but if the proposed changes go ahead it's not just your pension that will be affected, you will be worse off every month. I will have to pay £120 extra a month, every month, I know I can ill afford that and if losing one day's pay stops this happening (or even reduces it) then I'm happy (? ish!) to do that.

19. Also, (and then I'll shup up!) if you do nothing then you are, essentially, saying: yes, that's fine, I'm happy to
    pay more for my penson,
    work extra years and
    be paid less when I do retire.
    Are you happy giving this message?